1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force pulling a pendulum

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.0 kg pendulum ball is pulled 30° from the vertical by a horizontal force Fpull. What is the magnitude of Fpull?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm rather lost with this one - I'm not even sure how to classify it. Any help at all - even a point in the right direction - would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2
    Unless the problem says otherwise, assume Fpull is at a 90° angle from the vertical.

Force diagram. You'll have three forces: tension, Fpull, and the force of gravity. The tension will have two components.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    sorry, misread the post. it said horizontal. So it is definitely a right angle from the vertical

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4
    Yes -- diagram it.

6. Nov 1, 2013 #5
    Hi all, thanks for your input. Is it right to assume that the force of gravity = the y component of the tensional force, and that the force applied to the ball = the x component of the tensional force? If so, how can I calculate Tx without knowing the magnitude of T? (If my assumptions are correct, I can calculate Ty using Fg, but I don't know how that value could help me.)

7. Nov 1, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.
    If T is the total tension and the angle is 30o, what in terms of T are Tx and Ty?

8. Nov 1, 2013 #7
    If the ball is 30o from the vertical to the right, then T is oriented 130o from the positive direction of the x-axis. Then Tx =Tcos130, and Ty=Tsin130?

9. Nov 1, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, not 130. How did you calculate that?

10. Nov 1, 2013 #9
    Oops, I meant 120. I've attached a picture (.jpg) showing how I calculated the angle.

Thanks for your responses so far!

Attached Files:

11. Nov 1, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's better.

12. Nov 1, 2013 #11
    I've got the answer :)

For anyone who might come across this post in the future:

Ty=Fg=mg=2*9.8=19.6=Tsin120
    So T=22.63
    |Fpull|=|Tx|=|Tcos120|=|-11.3|=11.3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted