Calculating Sailboat Acceleration: Solving a Tricky Physics Question

• Thread starter Cowtipper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
Just remember to take the square root of the sum of the squares of the two components to get the magnitude of the net acceleration.In summary, the force exerted by the wind on the sails of a sailboat is 390 N north and the water exerts a force of 180 N east. With a mass of 270 kg, the magnitude of the net acceleration can be found by using Newton's Second Law and vector addition, resulting in a magnitude of 1.523 m/s^2. The direction of the net acceleration would be in the north-east direction.
Cowtipper
"The force exerted by the wind on the sails of a sailboat is 390 N north. The water exerts a force of 180 N east. If the boat (including it's crew) has a mass of 270 kg, what is the magnitude and direction of it's acceleration?"

My physics homework was going just dandy until I came to this question.

I am stumped.

Any suggestions, like where to begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have one force pointing North, so you'll want to find the acceleration in the North direction by using Newton's Second law. Do the same thing for the force pointing East. You'd have two acceleration components of a net acceleration vector. Add the two components vectorially to get the net acceleration, does this help?

Do I just use A squared plus B squared = C squared? If so, I get 1.523 as the answer.

Cowtipper said:
Do I just use A squared plus B squared = C squared? If so, I get 1.523 as the answer.

That's correct, you have the right idea.

1. What is the purpose of a sailboat?

The purpose of a sailboat is to navigate through water using the power of the wind. The sails are designed to catch the wind and propel the boat forward.

2. How does force affect a sailboat?

Force plays a crucial role in the movement of a sailboat. The force of the wind on the sails generates a force called lift, which pulls the boat forward. The force of the water against the boat's hull also affects its movement.

3. How do you control the force on a sailboat?

The force on a sailboat can be controlled by adjusting the sails. By changing the angle and size of the sails, the sailor can increase or decrease the force of the wind on the boat, thus controlling its speed and direction.

4. What factors affect the force on a sailboat?

The force on a sailboat can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the wind, the size and shape of the sails, the weight and design of the boat, and the shape and condition of the hull.

5. How does the force on a sailboat differ from that of a motorboat?

The force on a sailboat is primarily generated by the wind, while a motorboat relies on an engine to generate force. Sailboats also experience more variable and dynamic forces due to the changing wind and water conditions, while motorboats generally experience a more constant and predictable force. Additionally, sailboats have more maneuverability and can sail with the wind, while motorboats are limited to moving in a straight line.