M-How to calculate force on a surface due to a beam of particles?

In summary: I get it now.thanks! so according to my calculations,if 10^16 atoms hit the surface in 1 second,then the force is 5.1961Newtons.
debwaldy

Homework Statement

hi,so iv been trying to work out this problem but I am stuck because i don't understand what the lux in the question is,could anyone explain it to me?

the question says:

a beam of helium atoms is incident at an angle of 60 degrees on a flat surface of area 0.2 m^2. each atom has a velocity of 3* 10^7 m s^-1 and the beam flux is 10^16 atoms m^-2 s^-1.assuming the beam covers the whole surface what is the force on the surface?

Homework Equations

im guessing beam flux is perhaps the intensity,or the amount of atoms which wud pass through 1m^2 of surface in one second?and how exactly could i relate this to the question?should i multiply it by 0.2m^2 to figure out how many wud pass through the surface area in the question in one second?
any hints or direction would be greatly appreciated:smile:

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
debwaldy said:
the question says:

a beam of helium atoms is incident at an angle of 60 degrees on a flat surface of area 0.2 m^2. each atom has a velocity of 3* 10^7 m s^-1 and the beam flux is 10^16 atoms m^-2 s^-1.assuming the beam covers the whole surface what is the force on the surface?

Homework Equations

im guessing beam flux is perhaps the intensity,or the amount of atoms which wud pass through 1m^2 of surface in one second?and how exactly could i relate this to the question?should i multiply it by 0.2m^2 to figure out how many wud pass through the surface area in the question in one second?
any hints or direction would be greatly appreciated:smile:
No guessing about it. That is what it is.

Assume that the He atoms collide elastically with the surface. What is the momentum imparted to the surface by one collision? (what is the change in momentum of the He atom in the collision?) What is the rate of change of momentum (ie change of momentum per unit time)? How is that related to the "force"?

AM

thanks..so do i need to know the mass of a helium atom to answer this question?

so far iv said: the change in momentutm = (3.0*10^7)(mass of he atom)(sin60)(2)=5.1961*10^7(mass of he atom)

according to my book the rate of change of momentum= (z component of momentum)( z component of velocity)/(height)

the height of what though?how do i relate this to the area i am given?
and do i need to get the z component of the beam flux for my calculations,or do i just multiply the beam flux by 0.2m^2 to get the amount of atoms that pass through 0.2m^2 in 1 sec?

steve12 said:
thanks..so do i need to know the mass of a helium atom to answer this question?

so far iv said: the change in momentutm = (3.0*10^7)(mass of he atom)(sin60)(2)=5.1961*10^7(mass of he atom)

according to my book the rate of change of momentum= (z component of momentum)( z component of velocity)/(height)
the height of what though?how do i relate this to the area i am given?
I am not sure what the height refers to but would appear to have nothing to do with this problem.

and do i need to get the z component of the beam flux for my calculations,or do i just multiply the beam flux by 0.2m^2 to get the amount of atoms that pass through 0.2m^2 in 1 sec?
Yes. Just work out the change of momentum per second. How many of these collisions occur per second on this area?

Or more formally:

[tex]\Delta p = 2mv\sin\theta[/tex]

Since the speed and angle do not change:

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt} = 2vsin\theta \frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

What is dm/dt (the mass flow per unit time) striking this surface?

AM

What is flux and how is it related to force?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a specific area. In the context of force, flux refers to the flow of force through a surface or boundary. It is closely related to the concept of a force field, which describes how a force acts on an object at different points in space.

How is flux calculated?

Flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the force vector and the surface normal vector at a given point. This measures the component of the force that is perpendicular to the surface. The unit of flux is Newtons per square meter (N/m²).

What is the difference between flux and flow?

Flux and flow are related concepts, but they are not the same. Flux refers to the amount of a physical quantity passing through a surface, while flow refers to the rate at which that quantity is passing through the surface. In other words, flux is a measure of the amount of flow over a given area.

What are some real-world applications of flux?

Flux is a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering. It is used in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and even economics. Some specific applications of flux include calculating the strength of an electric field, measuring the rate of heat transfer in a system, and analyzing the flow of air around an airplane wing.

How does flux relate to Gauss's law?

Gauss's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the flux of an electric field through a closed surface to the amount of charge enclosed by that surface. The law states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This allows us to calculate the strength of an electric field based on the amount of charge in a given region.