Ice Skating Collision: Solving a Physics Problem

In summary, a 49 kg woman and a 97 kg man collide on a frictionless frozen lake. The maximum force exerted on the woman by the man is 160 N, west. The maximum force on the man from the woman is 160 N, east. The maximum acceleration of the woman is 3.27 m/s^2, east. The maximum acceleration of the man is 3.27 m/s^2, west.
shell4987

Homework Statement

A 49 kg woman is ice-skating toward the east on a frictionless frozen lake when she collides with a 97 kg man who is ice-skating toward the west. The maximum force exerted on the woman by the man during the collision is 160 N, west. Take east to be the positive direction of the x axis. (a) What is the maximum force on the man from the woman, including direction? (b) What is the maximum acceleration of the woman, including direction? (c) What is the maximum acceleration of the man, including direction?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

How would I go about solving this problem? I tried drawing a diagram of the two people colliding to figure that out, but I didn't really know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's laws... you might want to review the 3 laws... and try to see how they apply here...

shell4987 said:

Homework Statement

A 49 kg woman is ice-skating toward the east on a frictionless frozen lake when she collides with a 97 kg man who is ice-skating toward the west. The maximum force exerted on the woman by the man during the collision is 160 N, west. Take east to be the positive direction of the x axis. (a) What is the maximum force on the man from the woman, including direction? (b) What is the maximum acceleration of the woman, including direction? (c) What is the maximum acceleration of the man, including direction?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

How would I go about solving this problem? I tried drawing a diagram of the two people colliding to figure that out, but I didn't really know where to go from there.

Use the third law of motion.

1. How do you calculate the force of impact in an ice skating collision?

The force of impact in an ice skating collision can be calculated using the formula F = m * v, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity. In order to accurately calculate the force of impact, it is important to know the mass and velocity of both skaters involved in the collision.

2. What factors influence the outcome of an ice skating collision?

The outcome of an ice skating collision can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the mass and velocity of the skaters, the angle of impact, and the surface area of contact. Other factors such as friction and the rigidity of the ice can also play a role in the outcome of a collision.

3. Can you predict the outcome of an ice skating collision?

While it is not possible to predict the exact outcome of an ice skating collision, it is possible to make educated guesses based on the factors mentioned above. By calculating the forces involved and considering other variables, it is possible to estimate the direction and speed of the skaters after a collision.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply to ice skating collisions?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of an ice skating collision, the total momentum of the two skaters before and after the collision will remain the same. This means that the combined mass and velocity of the skaters will be the same before and after the collision, but the individual velocities may change.

5. How can understanding the physics of ice skating collisions improve safety?

Understanding the physics of ice skating collisions can help improve safety by allowing skaters to anticipate and avoid potential collisions. By knowing the factors that influence the outcome of a collision, skaters can adjust their movements and be more aware of their surroundings to prevent accidents. Additionally, understanding the forces involved in a collision can help engineers design safer ice rinks and equipment for skaters.