Can 600 N Pull the Same Cart Twice? - Get a Second Opinion!

• Thread starter qwexor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart Pull
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of using a man and an iron weight to pull a cart on a friction-free surface using a pulley and rope. It is concluded that the acceleration will be the same in both situations, as long as the force applied and the angle of tension remain constant. This is supported by mathematical calculations and can be proven through experiments.
qwexor
Force Question - Still want another oppinion!

A man pulls a cart on a friction fee surface by means of a pulley and rope. He pulls the rope at 600 N. Now replace the man's action with an iron weight of 60 kg so that it is attached to the end of the rope. The cart is again set in motion. Is the acceleration the same in both situations. ( Use g to 10m/s/s) , (mass of cart = 50kg)

You can see a picture of the situation here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/qwex/physics.jpg

So my assumption is that both the man and the weight would pull with 600 N downwards. So would this make the acceleration the same. I'm guessing the distance is the same in both situations as well. Is there any way I can explain this? Am I even correct? Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right, the acceleration would be the same since to determine the force that the iron pulls the cart. We use the formula:
F = ma = 60 x 10 = 600 N which is the same as the force that the man pulls the rope.

XMLT

Thanks! Any one else?

Acceleration will be the same, it depends only on the force applied to it. If the angle, at which tension is prodced, is same then the acc. will be the same.
To show it correct prove it mathematically or go to the experiments.
a = f/m = 600/50 = 12 (man pulled)
a = f/m = (M*g)/m = 60*10/50 = 12

1. Can a force of 600 N pull the same cart twice?

Yes, a force of 600 N can pull the same cart twice as long as the force is applied in the same direction and the weight of the cart does not exceed 600 N.

2. How do I know if the force of 600 N is enough to pull the cart twice?

You can determine if 600 N is enough force by calculating the weight of the cart and ensuring it does not exceed 600 N. Additionally, you can perform a test pull to see if the cart moves with the applied force.

3. Can another force besides 600 N be used to pull the cart twice?

Yes, as long as the force is greater than or equal to 600 N, it can be used to pull the cart twice.

4. Is it necessary to get a second opinion before attempting to pull the cart twice with 600 N?

No, it is not necessary to get a second opinion. However, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or expert in the field to ensure accuracy and safety.

5. How can I increase the chances of successfully pulling the cart twice with 600 N?

You can increase the chances of success by making sure the force is applied in the correct direction and by ensuring the weight of the cart does not exceed 600 N. Additionally, using proper equipment and technique can also increase the chances of successfully pulling the cart twice with 600 N.