Calculating Force on 2.8kg Object with 4.2m i-(3.3m)j Displacement

In summary, the 2.8kg object experiences a displacement of (4.2m)i-(3.3m)j in 1.2s and is subjected to two forces, one of which is constant. The other force is the resulting force that corresponds to the acceleration of the object, which can be found by determining its components in the system of axes mentioned in the problem. This is in accordance with the second principle of dynamics.
UrbanXrisis
Besides its weight, a 2.8kg object is subjected to one other constant force. The object starts from rest and in 1.2s experiences a displacement of (4.2m)i-(3.3m)j, where the direction of j is the upward vertical direction. Determine the other force.

1. if j is the upward vertial direction, does that mean -(3.3m)j is in the downwards direction?
2. There is only one force, why does it ask for "the other force."
3. To find this force, do I just find the acceleration from 0 to the resultant displacement and then multiply that by the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,u need to find the acceleration of the body.As a vector.This means finding it's components wrt to the system of axis the problem speaks about.
There are two forces and one resulting force.The acceleration corresponds tot he resulting force,in agreement with the second principle of dynamics.

Daniel.

1. Yes, if j is the upward vertical direction, then -(3.3m)j would be in the downward direction. Since the object is starting from rest, this displacement would be due to the force acting on the object.

2. The phrase "other force" may refer to the force acting on the object in addition to its weight. The given information states that the object is subjected to one other constant force, so we need to find this force in order to determine the net force acting on the object.

3. To find the force, we can use the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In this case, we can find the acceleration by dividing the given displacement by the given time (1.2s). Once we have the acceleration, we can plug it back into the equation to solve for the force. This force would be the "other force" acting on the object.

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I calculate the force on a 2.8kg object?

To calculate the force on a 2.8kg object, you will need to know the acceleration and apply the formula F=ma. In this case, the acceleration is given as 4.2m i-(3.3m)j, so you will need to plug in the values for mass (2.8kg) and acceleration (4.2m i-(3.3m)j) to solve for force.

3. What is the unit for force?

The unit for force is Newtons (N). In this case, the unit for force on the 2.8kg object would be N = kg x m/s^2.

4. Why is displacement included in the calculation for force?

Displacement is included in the calculation for force because it is a measure of the change in position of the object. In this case, the displacement is given as 4.2m i-(3.3m)j, which represents the change in position in the x and y directions. This displacement is used in the formula F=ma to calculate the force on the object.

5. Can the force on the object be negative?

Yes, the force on the object can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement. In this case, if the calculated force is negative, it means that the force is acting in the direction opposite to the displacement of 4.2m i-(3.3m)j.