Does Normal Force Equal Weight?

In summary, the normal force on a body is only equal to its weight when the body is on a horizontal surface. On an incline, the weight of the body remains the same, but the normal force is less and only the parallel component of the weight will accelerate the object. Finding the components of a force does not change the force itself.
allstar1
Is the normal force on a body always equal to its weight?

YES or NO?

I believe the answer is NO.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

Can you give me your reason for it??

I believe the answer is NO, because the normal force on a body is only equal to its weight when the body is on a horizontal surface.

et me know if my reasoning is correct. Thanks.

allstar1 said:
I believe the answer is NO, because the normal force on a body is only equal to its weight when the body is on a horizontal surface.

et me know if my reasoning is correct. Thanks.

If you have a body on an incline, then the force of gravity on that body would be F_grav = mg (cos a i + sin a j). But if you compute the magnitude of this vector, you end up with |F_grav| = mg, don't you?

Doesn't this mean that the weight of a body on an incline is the same as on a horizontal surface?

Dot

allstar1 said:
If you are talking about an object just resting on a surface, then you are correct.

Dorothy Weglend said:
If you have a body on an incline, then the force of gravity on that body would be F_grav = mg (cos a i + sin a j). But if you compute the magnitude of this vector, you end up with |F_grav| = mg, don't you?
Putting a body on an incline doesn't change the direction or magnitude of its weight. It's always just [itex]mg[/itex] acting down.

Doesn't this mean that the weight of a body on an incline is the same as on a horizontal surface?
It better be the same!

Doc Al said:
Putting a body on an incline doesn't change the direction or magnitude of its weight. It's always just [itex]mg[/itex] acting down.

It better be the same!

Ah, right. I understand. I misunderstood the original question. Yes, the normal force is less on an incline.

I've been thinking of the inclines in these mechanics problems as splitting the downard force of mg into two components, one parallel to the incline, and one perpendicular to it. So I guess I have been thinking of the incline as a device to "split gravity", although I know that sounds stupid. I haven't really used that term until now.

Could you enlarge on what is really going on? I'd appreciate it.

Dot

For an object on an incline it is often useful to find the components of the weight parallel and perpendicular to the surface. If the incline is fixed, only forces parallel to the incline will accelerate the object. (The perpendicular component will equal the normal force.)

the question states "Always equall", i guess the always is what makes the difference. Because the Normal force is only equal when object is at rest horizontally. I guess if it be on an incline then ther object would slide down and move. Therefore on object inclined would NOT have an equal normal force.

That's just my opinion.

Doc Al said:
For an object on an incline it is often useful to find the components of the weight parallel and perpendicular to the surface. If the incline is fixed, only forces parallel to the incline will accelerate the object. (The perpendicular component will equal the normal force.)

I understand this. What I don't understand is why this isn't viewed as changing the direction of the objects weight. I've been told I get too hung up on the details, but I do like to understand these things.

Dot

Finding the components of a force does not change the force. Weight is defined as the gravitational force that the Earth exerts on an object. That doesn't change just because an object is on an incline. (Of course, being on an incline does change the forces on the object, but not its weight.)

1. Does normal force always equal weight?

No, normal force does not always equal weight. Normal force is the support force exerted by a surface on an object, while weight is the force of gravity on an object. In certain situations, such as when an object is on an inclined plane, the normal force may be less or greater than the weight.

2. Can normal force be negative?

No, normal force cannot be negative. Normal force is a contact force that acts perpendicular to the surface an object is resting on. It is always directed away from the surface and cannot have a negative value.

3. How is normal force related to mass?

Normal force is not directly related to mass. It is determined by the weight of an object and the surface it is resting on. However, the weight of an object is directly proportional to its mass, so the normal force may indirectly be affected by mass.

4. Is normal force a conservative force?

Yes, normal force is a conservative force. This means that the work done by the normal force on an object is independent of the path taken by the object. The amount of work done by the normal force only depends on the initial and final positions of the object.

5. How is normal force different from friction?

Normal force and friction are two separate types of forces. Normal force is a contact force that acts perpendicular to the surface an object is resting on, while friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. Normal force is required for an object to maintain contact with a surface, while friction acts to hinder or prevent motion.