1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force question

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    I need help with these 2 force questions. My answers have ***** next to them.

1) An object in equilibrium
    a) does not move.
    b) has no forces acting on it.
    c) has 0 accelleration. ***************
    d) two of the above
    e) all of the above

An object in equilibrium has to have a=0. I don't think it's choice A, because an object can move with constant speed and still be in equlibrium. I don't think it's choice b, because the net force equalls 0, but that doesn't mean that no forces are acting on it.

2) The static friction force
    a) equals the coefficient of static friction times the normal force.
    b) is always less than the kinetic friction force.
    c) will vary in order to keep the object from moving. ***************
    d) depends on the area of contact between the surfaces.
    e) is in the direction of motion.

choice B and E are the opposite of the truth. For A i think it's supposed to be less and not equal and i'm not really sure about choice D.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2
    any has any info they can share???
  4. Sep 20, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You got them both right. Good job! :smile:

As for that second question, it is the coefficient of static friction (which quantifies the relative roughness) between two surfaces that determines the maximum static frictional force. The contact area has nothing to do with it. You can tell that that is wrong because you never use the contact area to calculate frictional forces.
  5. Sep 20, 2005 #4
    Thanks for the reply.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?