1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force questions need help

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A force of 10 newtons toward the right is exerted on a wooden crate initially moving to the right on a horizontal wooden floor. the crate weights 25 newtons.

A) calculate the magnitude of the force of friction between the crate and the floor

B) name the vertical forces acting on the crate

C) name the horizontal forces acting on the crate

D) what is the magnitude of the net force acting on the crate

E) is the crate accelerating?

2. Relevant equations

A) u*Fn = ff (how can i find out u?)

b) weight is 25 newtons so fg and fnormal is 25 newtons

c) applied force is 10 newtons

d) m*a = f net or applied force - ff = fn (mass and acceleration isnt given so i cant use it)

3. The attempt at a solution

im stuck with the equations can someone help =)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Moving crate on the wooden floor will come to rest due to frictional force. If you want to keep it moving, you have to apply a force to overcome the frictional force. If the crate moves with uniform velocity, then the frictional force is equal to the applied force.

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    emm there is an apply force on the crate but how i know if it moves in uniform velocity?

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4
    can someone help me figure out the force of friction?

6. Jan 31, 2010 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As rl.bhat noted, the friction force must equal the applied force if the crate is moving with constant velocity. The problem statement, however, is incomplete. Is there missing information? Without knowing that it moves with constant velocity, it cannot be solved without additional data.

7. Jan 31, 2010 #6
    what is missing?

8. Feb 1, 2010 #7

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you don't, unless the problem tells you that

9. Feb 1, 2010 #8
    hmm so can this problem be solved?

10. Feb 1, 2010 #9

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It can be solved only if you assume that the crate moves at constant velocity under the application of the 10 N applied force.

11. Feb 1, 2010 #10
    so if it moves at constant velocity what can i do to solve the frictional force is there a equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook