Force Questions: Calculate Friction & Find Net Force

• Thread starter zelda1850
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionIf the crate moves with uniform velocity, then the frictional force is equal to the applied force.
zelda1850

Homework Statement

A force of 10 Newtons toward the right is exerted on a wooden crate initially moving to the right on a horizontal wooden floor. the crate weights 25 Newtons.

A) calculate the magnitude of the force of friction between the crate and the floor

B) name the vertical forces acting on the crate

C) name the horizontal forces acting on the crate

D) what is the magnitude of the net force acting on the crate

E) is the crate accelerating?

Homework Equations

A) u*Fn = ff (how can i find out u?)

b) weight is 25 Newtons so fg and fnormal is 25 Newtons

c) applied force is 10 Newtons

d) m*a = f net or applied force - ff = fn (mass and acceleration isn't given so i can't use it)

The Attempt at a Solution

im stuck with the equations can someone help =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Moving crate on the wooden floor will come to rest due to frictional force. If you want to keep it moving, you have to apply a force to overcome the frictional force. If the crate moves with uniform velocity, then the frictional force is equal to the applied force.

emm there is an apply force on the crate but how i know if it moves in uniform velocity?

can someone help me figure out the force of friction?

zelda1850 said:
can someone help me figure out the force of friction?
As rl.bhat noted, the friction force must equal the applied force if the crate is moving with constant velocity. The problem statement, however, is incomplete. Is there missing information? Without knowing that it moves with constant velocity, it cannot be solved without additional data.

what is missing?

zelda1850 said:
what is missing?

emm there is an apply force on the crate but how i know if it moves in uniform velocity?
you don't, unless the problem tells you that

hmm so can this problem be solved?

zelda1850 said:
hmm so can this problem be solved?
It can be solved only if you assume that the crate moves at constant velocity under the application of the 10 N applied force.

so if it moves at constant velocity what can i do to solve the frictional force is there a equation?

1. What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate friction?

To calculate friction, you need to know the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the force needed to keep two surfaces in contact while they are moving relative to each other. The formula for friction is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the object by the surface it is in contact with.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest on a surface, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is usually greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

4. How do you find the net force?

To find the net force on an object, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on it. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you simply add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one. The net force will determine the acceleration of the object according to Newton's Second Law: F = ma.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its friction?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its friction. However, the normal force (which is equal to the weight of the object) does affect friction, as shown in the formula F = μN. Therefore, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the normal force and subsequently, the greater the friction.