Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force required to lift weight

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    can you please help me with this as i am confused? I am designing a frame for my project.

I have a rod GF connected to rod AB at point F at 45 Degrees. The dimensions are mentioned in the attached word file. There is a weight of 1 Kg at side resting on rod AB nead end - A.

what is the force required to lift this weight? please show the calculations.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2
    Where will the force be applied ?

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3
    the force is applied at point G, of the rod GF.

5. Apr 23, 2009 #4
    In what direction? Is the arrow to the right supposed to be the force vector?
    In that case I don't see why that force would lift the weight at all?

Also, is the 45deg angle fixed?

6. Apr 23, 2009 #5
    actually i am going to connect a string at point G. So the direction of force will be pretty much the direciton of arrow shown, however it can vary slightly as its a string which will be applying the force and not a solid rod.

The angle of 45 deg is fixed. will it be easy to lift the weight if the angle was 90 deg? or more difficult if the angle was only 20 deg? how would the angle and direction of force affect the lifting of weight? can you please show the vectors and calculations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook