Force required to slash through chain or steel mail

In summary, the conversation focused on the force and pressure needed to break through different materials, specifically chain or steel mail armor with a sword. The strength and material of the chain and sword were taken into consideration, as well as the geometry and purpose of the armor. It was mentioned that sawing through chains is easier and safer, and that chain mail armor is designed to give way when struck. The amount of energy required to bring a sword to a halt is spread out over a short distance and time, making it more resistant to breakage than a nail in wood.
Adam
In addition to the question in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12538 I have a few other queries related to combat.

I've read that the it requires about 900-950 Newtons to shear an average iron nail. I'm wondering how much would be required to slash through chain or steel mail armour with a sword, given that the links are made of rings generally about the thickness of a nail.

It's generally no problem for the human body to exert over a thousand Newtons when lifting at the gym, for example, but I'm not sure how much force is involved if we swing a sword and it is focused into that small area (the point of impact from a sword).

Ah, in general, I guess what I'm asking is, how do I work out the forces involved in the swing of a weapon of fist or such? How much body mass do I include, how much movement of the entire body is added to the speed of a swing, et cetera.

PS: The Momentum thread was kinda funny.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that force is the appropriate measure. I think that pressure is more pertaining to the question.

A lot of what you're asking depends on the chain and the sword.

Chains vary in strength from gold wire which can be broken with fingers to massive chains used to hold boats in place which have links made out of steel several inches thick. Similarly, the material and shape of the sword is important. Is the sword a laser cutter, or a baguette?

Once you have determined the materials that you are using, you can start talking about how the chain is going to be broken.

Of course, there's always a question of geometry as well.

So, regarding your question:

Can someone with a bronze dagger use it to break a steel anchor chain? No.

Can someone with a claymore use it to bust a gold neclace? Almost certainly.

What you want to know about is probably somewhere between those two. In practice, sawing through chains is easier and safer.

I believe Adam was talking about chain-male armor, not a chain like an anchor chain. In comparing chain-male to a nail, I think the most important fact to remember is that chain-male is made to give way when struck, much like today's bullet-proof vests. So whatever amount of energy is required to bring your sword to a halt, that energy is spread out over a short amount of distance (about 1 or 1 1/2 inches), and a short period of time. This makes chain-nale armor much more resistant to breakage than a nail stuck in wood.

1. What is the force required to slash through chain or steel mail?

The force required to slash through chain or steel mail depends on several factors including the strength and sharpness of the weapon, the thickness and quality of the chain or mail, and the force applied by the person wielding the weapon. Therefore, it is difficult to give an exact measurement of the force required.

2. Can any weapon cut through chain or steel mail?

While some weapons may be able to cut through thinner and lower quality chain or mail, it is unlikely that any weapon can easily slash through a thick and well-made chain or steel mail. The force required to do so would be significant and may even damage the weapon itself.

3. Is it possible to slash through chain or steel mail without using a weapon?

It is highly unlikely that a person could slash through chain or steel mail without the use of a weapon. The force required would be too great for the human hand to generate, and the sharpness of the weapon is necessary to cut through the metal links.

4. Does the angle of the slash affect the force required to cut through chain or steel mail?

Yes, the angle of the slash can greatly affect the force required to cut through chain or steel mail. A perpendicular slash will require more force compared to a diagonal or slicing motion. The angle also plays a role in the effectiveness of the cut, as a perpendicular slash may not penetrate the links as well as a slicing motion.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force required to cut through chain or steel mail?

Aside from the strength and sharpness of the weapon and the angle of the slash, other factors that can affect the force required to cut through chain or steel mail include the type of metal used in the chain or mail, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the physical condition of the person wielding the weapon.