1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force systems, couples

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force F of magnitude 50 N is exerted on the automobile parking-brake lever at the position x=250 mm. Replace the force by an equivalent force-couple system at the pivot point O.

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/dJGtvAo.png

2. Relevant equations

M=F*d
    3. The attempt at a solution

I have replaced the force by an equivalent force-system at O so I now the exact same force F(both magnitude and direction) but at O. Now I want to find the moment which is given by M=Force*distance. The distance I need is the closest distance between O and the "moment-point". For simplicity I instead try to find the distance between O and Fcos20. But I have problems finding it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi zeralda21! :smile:
    no, it's the closest distance between O and the line of the force

probably easiest to start by extending the left-hand part until it reaches the line of F, and finding the total length of that :wink:

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    Ouch, that is actually what i meant. But the closest distance is therefore the horizontal distance from O to Fcos(20), no? I'm not sure what you mean. Extend it as:

0.1m+xcot15 ?

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi zeralda21! :wink:
    on second thoughts, i don't think that works :redface:

try it this way …

draw a line OG parallel to the line of F

then the distance is the sum of the perpendicular distances from that dot in the middle to the line of F, and from that dot in the middle to OG :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook