1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Table Lab Question Help

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) Why does the centering ring not start to shift as soon as you change the angle?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution

1) It does not shift because the equilibrium of the resultant vector can vary from -1.5 degrees to 2 degrees based on our data.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The question is meaningless to anyone who has not seen the same thing you have - please describe the context.

Off what you've written, if I was setting that sort of question I'd expect a student to show more understanding than that. What is it that causes the effect? How is it that the equilibrium of the resultant vector can vary from -1.5 degrees to 2 degrees?

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3
    How many forces are applied to the centering ring? Three?
    Which angle is changed?

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Feb 12, 2013 #5
    Yes. The centering ring is in the middle. The strings are tied to it. It needs to be centred on the middle of the degree scale marked off on the edge of the disc.

7. Feb 12, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why does it "need" to be centered?
    In what sort of situations is it is not centered?

What is the angle that you are changing?

8. Feb 12, 2013 #7
    The centre of the degree scale is in the center of the table.
    The ring floats above the table due to the tensions in the strings and can thus be positioned anywhere - as long as equilibrium is maintained by it being at that point of cause.
    That is exactly what we need to find out from the student. I think the question refers to the degree scale being rotated.

Attached Files:

9. Feb 25, 2013 #8
    This is my lab report. In is the data and my answer to the question. I know it has to do with friction but is it kenetic friction or did i answer the question correctly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. Feb 26, 2013 #9
    Any help please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted