1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Tables and Vectors

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding the concept of a force table affecting the results of a equilibrant vector/string problem.

If the force table is tilted, the results would be affected, correct?

I just don't know how to explain this in physics terms. If the table is tilted, there will be more weight shifted toward the tilted side? Is this wrong?

Also, can if the mass of each vector in an experiment was the same, could you ignore the mass? I don't think you can because without the mass, vectors would be scalar quantities? I have no idea! lol Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi munchy35! :smile:

Force is a vector. So it has both magnitude and direction

The direction of the gravitational force changes, relative to the direction of the tension forces.

So everything changes (the vector triangle will be a different shape, for example). :smile:
    Mass has nothing to do with the difference between a scalar and a vector.

For example, good ol' Newton's second law is F = ma

force and acceleration are both vectors, even though acceleration has no "m". :wink:

(so if everything on both sides of the equation has an "m", then yes it's ok to cancel or ignore it!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook