Help Solve Physics Homework: Computer Base Unit of Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework question about a computer base unit being dragged along a smooth desk. The question asks for the total tension in the person's arm, given the normal contact force of 23 N and the tension in the arm acting at 23° to the horizontal. There is a discrepancy about the coefficient of kinetic friction, but the question expects it to be negligible. The conversation confirms that the correct approach to solving the question is to use the equation ∑ Forces in y direction = Force Normal - Force gravity + Force tension in y direction.
SherlockIsReal
Hi! Another Physics homework question that needs solving immediately! Thank you in advance.

A computer base unit of mass 7.5 kg is dragged along a smooth desk. If the normal contact force is 23 N and the tension in the arm of the person dragging it acts at 23° to the horizontal, then what is the total tension in the persons arm?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you have left out a material fact. You will need to tell us what the co-efficient of kinetic friction is.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
It seems to me that you have left out a material fact. You will need to tell us what the co-efficient of kinetic friction is.

AM
There can't be a coefficient of kinetic friction if there is no friction right, and there is no friction because it is smooth desk, right?

Being smooth does not necessarily imply a 0 coefficient of friction. Roads can be smooth too, but they have friction. But in looking at it again, it appears here that the question expects you to assume that it is negligible.

What does the fact that the normal force is 23N tell you?

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Being smooth does not necessarily imply a 0 coefficient of friction. Roads can be smooth too, but they have friction. But it appears here that the question expects you to assume that it is negligible.

What does the fact that the normal force is 23N tell you?

AM
I think I got it. Would it make sense to solve it this way?
∑ Forces in y direction = Force Normal - Force gravity + Force tension in y direction

SherlockIsReal said:
I think I got it. Would it make sense to solve it this way?
∑ Forces in y direction = Force Normal - Force gravity + Force tension in y direction
Yes. That would be right.

AM

1. What is a computer base unit of mass?

A computer base unit of mass is a unit of measurement used in the field of physics to measure the amount of matter in a given object. It is also known as a standard unit of mass and is used in calculations and experiments.

2. How is a computer base unit of mass different from other units of mass?

A computer base unit of mass, also known as the kilogram (kg), is the base unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI). It is different from other units of mass because it is the only unit that is defined by a physical object - the international prototype kilogram. Other units, such as pounds or grams, are defined using conversion factors.

3. Why is a computer base unit of mass important in physics?

A computer base unit of mass is important in physics because it is a fundamental unit that is used in many calculations and equations. It is also used as a reference point in other units of measurement, such as force and energy.

4. How is a computer base unit of mass measured?

A computer base unit of mass is measured using a balance or scale. These instruments use a known mass, such as a standard weight, to compare and determine the mass of an unknown object. The mass is then expressed in kilograms (kg).

5. Can a computer base unit of mass be converted to other units?

Yes, a computer base unit of mass can be converted to other units, such as pounds or grams, using conversion factors. However, it is important to note that the kilogram is the only unit of mass that is defined by a physical object, so conversions may not always be exact.