1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Tension

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    Hi! Another Physics homework question that needs solving immediately! Thank you in advance.

A computer base unit of mass 7.5 kg is dragged along a smooth desk. If the normal contact force is 23 N and the tension in the arm of the person dragging it acts at 23° to the horizontal, then what is the total tension in the persons arm?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It seems to me that you have left out a material fact. You will need to tell us what the co-efficient of kinetic friction is.

AM

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    There can't be a coefficient of kinetic friction if there is no friction right, and there is no friction because it is smooth desk, right?

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Being smooth does not necessarily imply a 0 coefficient of friction. Roads can be smooth too, but they have friction. But in looking at it again, it appears here that the question expects you to assume that it is negligible.

What does the fact that the normal force is 23N tell you?

AM

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. Mar 6, 2015 #5
    I think I got it. Would it make sense to solve it this way?
    ∑ Forces in y direction = Force Normal - Force gravity + Force tension in y direction

7. Mar 7, 2015 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. That would be right.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted