Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force, the things you forget.

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    So, I have recently run across a real life application of things I haven't used in 10 years.

A 170lb man is hanging from a 100 foot rope off the edge of a vertical cliff. He is pushing himself out from the rock with a 10 foot pole. The angle of the rope from the cliff is 5.74 degrees. How much force / or weight is on the pole?

How would i figure this out? If some one could tell me, using very small words, and pretending I didn't take advanced calculus and physics.....

I really would like to understand this again.

Thank You.:blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2008 #2
    The magnitude of the force exerted by the rope we denote by F. The upward component of this force is F * sin(84.26), which is equal to 170lb since it must balance the man's weight. So F = 170/sin(84.26). But the horizontal component, which the pole must balance, is F*cos(84.26), or 170*cot(84.26), which is about equal to seventeen pounds.

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3
    Its a simple statics problem. Just sum the forces in the X and Y dimensions and solve for the unknowns, simple algebra no calc needed. Look up method of joints or methods of segments for more details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?