How does the impulse affect the ball's speed?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the ball's speed at 4.0 seconds using the impulse-momentum theorem. The graph in Figure 9-12 represents the impulse applied to the ball, which can be calculated by finding the area under the graph. The area under the graph is a representation of the force and time, and it is measured in Ns or Kg m/s. By adding the initial momentum of the ball to the impulse, and dividing it by the mass of the ball, the final speed can be calculated.
kissafilipino
1. I understand I need to find the area underneath the force time graph, however I do not understand how to use the impulse = m(delta)v

2. the question says:

A 0.145 kg ball, moving in the positive direction at 13 m/s, is acted on by the impulse shown in the graph in Figure 9-12 What is the ball's speed at 4.0 s?

Here is the image: http://www.webassign.net/glencoe99/9-12.gif

3. all the info is relevant, however it confuses me because I don't understand the underthegraph thing that is suppose to help me solve

Attachments

• 9-12.gif
    9-12.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 832
Physics news on Phys.org
kissafilipino said:
1. I understand I need to find the area underneath the force time graph, however I do not understand how to use the impulse = m(delta)v

2. the question says:

A 0.145 kg ball, moving in the positive direction at 13 m/s, is acted on by the impulse shown in the graph in Figure 9-12 What is the ball's speed at 4.0 s?

3. all the info is relevant, however it confuses me because I don't understand the underthegraph thing that is suppose to help me solve
What does the 'the (area) underthegraph thing' represent? It is a function of force and time. Note also that before 1 second and after 3 seconds, there is no longer any force applied.

I realize that this might be a bit late, but here's some help if you want it.

In the graph, the area of the triangle created by the line is actually the impulse used during that period of time, as F*t is measured in Ns or Kg m/s.

So you start out with a certain amount of momentum, then a bit more is added, and now you have the total momentum of the ball.

Initial Momentum = 0.145*13 = 1.885
Area/Impulse = 2
Mass of Ball = 0.145

1.885 + 2 = Answer

1. What is a force-time graph?

A force-time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the force applied to an object and the time it takes for the object to experience that force.

2. How do you interpret a force-time graph?

The slope of a force-time graph represents the acceleration of an object, with a steeper slope indicating a greater acceleration. The area under the curve represents the impulse, or change in momentum, of the object.

3. What does a flat line on a force-time graph mean?

A flat line on a force-time graph means that there is no change in force over time, indicating that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

4. How can I calculate the force from a force-time graph?

To calculate the force from a force-time graph, you can use the equation F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration calculated from the slope of the graph.

5. How is a force-time graph used in real life?

A force-time graph can be used to analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as a car accelerating or a ball being thrown. It is also commonly used in physics experiments to measure and study the forces acting on an object.