Force - Time graph Question

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    Hi everybody,

I was given a set of physics problems and some of them ask us to find work. The problem is, we are given a force-time graph as opposed to a force-distance graph. My question was whether there was a way of finding work done using a force-time graph. I don't see how it could be done and i haven't found anywhere where you can do it but I have a feeling it can be done.

Does anyone know? Please reply either if it can or can't be done...

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2
    Not if the force and dt are the only info given...

4. Dec 13, 2007 #3
    Sry, ignore my last post. Yes, you can.

5. Dec 13, 2007 #4
    Sorry, how can you find it out?

I tryed the area under the graph but that doesn't work

6. Dec 13, 2007 #5
    Sorry, how can you find it out?

I tried the area under the graph but that doesn't work

7. Dec 14, 2007 #6
    What kind of force-time graphs are they? I'm guessing they're impulse graphs (large force over relatively short period of time); if so, you can assume the impulse approximation. What does this tell you about the work done (or more precisely, the distance traveled due to a force)?

8. Dec 14, 2007 #7
    Yes, they are graphs with large forces over small amounts of time.

I'm sorry but I can't see the connection between this graph and work and/or distance.

If it helps, one of the questions talks about a railway engine of x mass moving from rest along a straight track. It then gives you the force-time graph.

9. Dec 14, 2007 #8
    It's ok now...I've figured out the answer

Thanks everyone for your help

10. Sep 18, 2009 #9
    Hi,

I have the same question as you. How did you find the work done using force - time graph?? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?