Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force to energy proof problem

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

One of the problems in my textbook of electromagnetism is about proving that the work done by the force [itex] \vec{F}=I \vec{dl} \times \vec{B} [/itex],is [itex] \delta W=I \delta \phi [/itex] where the circuit isn't rigid and the displacement vector of the element of interest is [itex] \vec{\delta r} [/itex] with a constant current and [itex] \delta \phi [/itex] is the change in magnetic flux.My calculation is as follows:
    [itex]
    \delta W=\vec{F}\cdot \vec{\delta r}=I (\vec{dl}\times \vec{B})\cdot \vec{\delta r}=I[ \delta x (dy B_z-dz B_y)+...]=I[(\delta x dy-\delta y dx)B_z+..]
    [/itex]
    To complete the proof,I should be able to set [itex] \delta A_z=\delta x dy-\delta y dx [/itex],etc.([itex]\delta A_z[/itex] being the change in area caused by [itex] B_z [/itex]).My problem is,I don't know how to justify it!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

What you are (correctly) trying to evaluate is a scalar triple product. You can cyclically shift the terms round (look it up, say, in Wiki) so that the cross-product is of the dl and dr vectors, giving you a directed area... Then use the definition of phi...

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Did you succeed? This is what I had in mind...

[itex]\delta W = \vec{F}.\vec{\delta r} = I \vec{\delta l}\times \vec{B}.\vec{\delta r}[/itex]

[This is unambiguous without brackets. The cross product has to be executed first, because if we tried to do the dot product, [itex]\vec{B}.\vec{\delta r}[/itex], first, it would yield a scalar, rendering the cross product meaningless.]

We are allowed to re-arrange this scalar triple product cyclically...

[itex]\delta W = I \vec{\delta r} \times \vec {\delta l}. \vec{B}.[/itex]

Now, [itex] \vec{\delta r} \times \vec {\delta l}[/itex] is easily shown to be a vector [itex]\vec{\delta S}[/itex] of magnitude equal to the area swept our by [itex]\delta l[/itex], and directed normally to this area..

But, by definition of flux, [itex]\delta \Phi = \vec{\delta S}.\vec B[/itex]

Thus we have [itex]\delta W = I \Phi[/itex] as required.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook