How can multiple pulleys decrease the force needed to lift a piano?

In summary, using multiple pulleys in a pulley system can decrease the amount of force needed to lift a piano by distributing the weight across multiple ropes and pulleys. This reduces the overall load on each individual pulley, making it easier to lift the piano with less effort. The more pulleys used in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage and the less force required to lift the object. This is due to the transfer of force through the ropes and pulleys, creating a system of increased leverage. Additionally, using different types of pulleys, such as fixed and movable pulleys, can further decrease the force needed to lift a piano.
fattydq
In raising a 51 kg piano with a pulley system, workers note that for every 2m of rope pulled down, the piano rises only 0.2m . Ideally, how much force is required to lift the piano?

I know the answer is 50 N because it's on my review sheet for a test, but I don't know how it was found. Could someone get me started here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the piano was being raised by a rope around a single pulley, how much force would be required to lift it, and if you pulled the rope down 2 m, how far up would the piano rise? In this particular problem, you have more than 1 pulley involved.

PhanthomJay said:
If the piano was being raised by a rope around a single pulley, how much force would be required to lift it, and if you pulled the rope down 2 m, how far up would the piano rise? In this particular problem, you have more than 1 pulley involved.

I'm sorry but I don't see how you can use those facts to find the answer, you just restated the question in different words?

fattydq said:
I'm sorry but I don't see how you can use those facts to find the answer, you just restated the question in different words?
Iwas just trying to give a hint, not the answer, so I presented you with a different problem, one with a single rope attached to the piano, and wrapped around a pulley fixed to the ceiling, with the free end of the rope hanging down from the other side of the pulley. Now in this new problem I stated, if the piano has a mass of 51Kg, how much minimum force would you have to apply to the free end of the rope in order to lift it off the ground, and if you pulled the rope down 2 m with that force, how high off the ground would the piano be? Think about it.

Now in your problem statement, you lower the rope 2 m and the piano rises just 0.2m, so multiple pulleys are involved, and the force necessary to lift it is smaller, due to the mechanical advantage gained by the use of more pulleys. You might want to check out this site: http://www.technologystudent.com/gears1/pulley7.htm

1. How much force is needed to lift a piano?

The amount of force needed to lift a piano depends on several factors, such as the weight of the piano, the angle at which it is being lifted, and the strength of the person lifting it. On average, it can take anywhere from 250-500 pounds of force to lift a piano.

2. Can one person lift a piano?

While it is technically possible for one person to lift a piano, it is not recommended as it can be dangerous and cause injury. Pianos are heavy and awkwardly shaped, making it difficult for one person to safely lift and maneuver.

3. Does the type of piano affect the force needed to lift it?

Yes, the type of piano can greatly affect the force needed to lift it. Grand pianos are typically heavier and require more force to lift compared to upright pianos. The material and construction of the piano can also impact the force needed to lift it.

4. Is it easier to lift a piano with multiple people?

Yes, it is much easier and safer to lift a piano with multiple people. This allows for the weight to be distributed among the lifters and reduces the risk of injury. It is recommended to have at least four people when lifting a piano.

5. How should I lift a piano to minimize the force needed?

The best way to lift a piano with minimal force is to use proper lifting techniques and equipment. This includes using a piano dolly or straps, bending at the knees and keeping the back straight, and utilizing the strength of your legs rather than your back. It is also important to have proper communication and coordination with other lifters to ensure a smooth and safe lift.