1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force to maintain flow velocity

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A) what force is necessary to maintain 0.5 cm/s flow velocity of blood in the 20 cm long segment of aorta, supposing that the force is needed only to prevail the internal friction.

The answer is 11.3 mN, I have no idea what formula to use. The blood viscosity=4.5mPa*s; blood density=1.05g/cm3

B) What percentage intensity increase would cause a turbulent flow? Suppose the flow is stationary. [Pressure=1.6*10^4 Pa] The answer is 24%. Again I have nothing to contribute with here.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A) I noticed that distance*velocity*viscosity give the right unit, but not answer, so I guess this is just a coincidence.

B) Nothing

I really have tried a long (!!) time to solve this, so I really hope that someone here can help me! The problem is that I do not have the means to solve it, I have no idea what formula to use or anything.
    Thank you for your time!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted