1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Force to move grease

1. Nov 30, 2017 #1
    Good day. My question is as follows, I have a column of white lithium grease 1/4” diameter 24’ long. I want to figure out the pressure needed to move this column of grease. I am having a hard time to find the right formula to calculate this so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What factors have you identified that will have an effect on the answer?

4. Nov 30, 2017 #3
    I’m not sure what you mean? I’m guessing the friction along the walls of the column and sticky ness of the grease would come into play.

5. Nov 30, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So you figure the mass of it is irrelevant?

6. Dec 3, 2017 #5
    Is the stuff thixotropic ? ie, when it starts to move, will the core blow out, leaving a significant layer stuck to the tube wall ?

Also, temperature / viscosity variations. Ambient temperature is one factor. Another may be frictional heating...

7. Dec 3, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

@Tritkoss we have touched on, but not completed, the list of things you will need to know. Do you begin to get the idea that it's not going to be a simple formula? It may well be that many of the possible factors are negligible, but you have to figure that out after you have a complete list.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted