How much force is required to stop a space ship?

In summary, the force required to stop a space ship depends on its mass, velocity, and acceleration. The equation F=ma (force = mass x acceleration) can be used to calculate the force needed to stop a space ship. The larger the mass and velocity of the ship, the greater the force needed to bring it to a complete stop. Additionally, the type of propulsion system and the presence of any external forces, such as gravity or air resistance, also play a role in determining the force required to stop a space ship. Overall, a significant amount of force is needed to halt the motion of a space ship traveling through the vacuum of space.
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

A spaceship is accelerating at ##1000# m/(sec per sec). How much force is required from the backthrusters to completely stop the spaceship?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's assume the spaceship has mass ##m## and no mass is lost when firing the backthrusters.
Using Newtons second, we have
$$
\sum F = 1000m.
$$
The only force would be the velocity from the backthrusters correct?
So we have
$$
-v_0x = 1000m.
$$
Is this correct? How do I find the force needed to stop the ship?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:

Homework Statement

A spaceship is accelerating at ##1000# m/(sec per sec). How much force is required from the backthrusters to completely stop the spaceship?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's assume the spaceship has mass ##m## and no mass is lost when firing the backthrusters.
Using Newtons second, we have
$$
\sum F = 1000m.
$$
So we have
$$
-v_0x = 1000m.
$$
Is this correct? How do I find the force needed to stop the ship?

I'd like to point out that an object in motion will remain in motion unless a constant acceleration is applied to it. That being said,

-v_0x = 1000m.

No, velocity would not be the force you're looking. Here's two tips:
1. Check your units, as they do help verify you're doing something right if your calculations look funny
2. Newton's Laws of Motion.

majormaaz said:
I'd like to point out that an object in motion will remain in motion unless a constant acceleration is applied to it. That being said,

No, velocity would not be the force you're looking. Here's two tips:
1. Check your units, as they do help verify you're doing something right if your calculations look funny
2. Newton's Laws of Motion.

So the force on the LHS needs to be acceleration then?

Dustinsfl said:
So the force on the LHS needs to be acceleration then?

Force has units of kg * m/s2. Acceleration has units of m/s2.
You're almost there. :)

The question doesn't make complete sense since if it is accelerating then it must be moving as well. And therefore the stopping force would need to be slightly larger than the force causing it to accelerate in which case you would also need to know the time required to bring it to a an instantaneous stop.

And 1000 m/s^2 is 100g's which is a huge acceleration. I doubt any practical rocket ship could withstand this amount of acceleration. It would just crumple or tear apart.

Otherwise I thought the mass assumption by the OP was very insightful.

paisiello2 said:
The question doesn't make complete sense since if it is accelerating then it must be moving as well. And therefore the stopping force would need to be slightly larger than the force causing it to accelerate in which case you would also need to know the time required to bring it to a an instantaneous stop.

And 1000 m/s^2 is 100g's which is a huge acceleration. I doubt any practical rocket ship could withstand this amount of acceleration. It would just crumple or tear apart.

Otherwise I thought the mass assumption by the OP was very insightful.

What other information do we need to assume to solve the problem then?

Dustinsfl said:
What other information do we need to assume to solve the problem then?
The question fails to specify the time span in which you are required to competely stop the ship. (Whatever 'stop' means in space, anyway.)

It would seem better to have been asked for the force needed to exactly cancel the gravitational acceleration.

Do you have the answer yet?

NascentOxygen said:
The question fails to specify the time span in which you are required to competely stop the ship. (Whatever 'stop' means in space, anyway.)

It would seem better to have been asked for the force needed <i>to exactly cancel</i> the acceleration.

Do you have the answer yet?

No I don't have an answer. So we can make our own assumptions.

Dustinsfl said:
No I don't have an answer. So we can make our own assumptions.

:smile: No, I don't think you should decide on an arbitrary time to halt the ship.

For starters, you are not told its current speed...

Probably the best you can do is to state that any force exceeding xxx Newtons will eventually bring the ship's speed to zero if it remains in the grip of that field. So, find xxx.

NascentOxygen said:
:smile: No, I don't think you should decide on an arbitrary time to halt the ship.

Probably the best you can do is to state that any force exceeding xxx Newtons will eventually bring the ship's speed to zero if it remains in the grip of that field. So, find xxx.

How do I find xxx? This problem comes from the Nuclear Propulsion Study Guide for the Navy.

I think you kind of stated the answer already in your first try. Your trying to find the force Fstop to stop the ship.

Fstop = ?

paisiello2 said:
I think you kind of stated the answer already in your first try. Your trying to find the force Fstop to stop the ship.

Fstop = ?

So that is just a 1000 then?

No, not quite, that is the acceleration remember. Again you actually already stated the answer in the OP.

paisiello2 said:
No, not quite, that is the acceleration remember. Again you actually already stated the answer in the OP.

1000m

You got it.

My suggestion in any problem you do is to always include the units. Even if none are given you should assume some appropriate unit. This a good way to make sure you have understood the problem correctly and also catch any mistakes you make in the arithmetic.

NascentOxygen said:

Would the answer change if we assumed the current speed is ##v_0##?

Dustinsfl said:
Yes, as now you need a larger force with enough time to slow the ship from v0 to zero.

paisiello2 said:
My suggestion in any problem you do is to always include the units.
+1

I read your answer "1000m" as 1000 metres, and puzzled how you managed to express a force in metres. :frown:

Had you written "1000m Newtons" I would have recognized it without hesitation.

Dustinsfl said:
No problem if you wish to do that, but you'll also need to nominate a time, ##t_s##, or a distance, ##d_s##, in which to bring the ship to a standstill.

1. How much force is needed to stop a space ship?

The amount of force needed to stop a space ship depends on several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the ship. A larger and faster moving ship will require more force to stop it. This force is typically measured in newtons.

2. Can a single force stop a space ship?

In most cases, a single force will not be enough to stop a space ship. This is because the ship is constantly moving and requires a continuous force to slow it down and eventually bring it to a stop. Multiple forces, such as thrusters or gravity, may need to be used to accomplish this.

3. How does gravity affect the force needed to stop a space ship?

Gravity can play a significant role in stopping a space ship. If the ship is orbiting a planet or other celestial body, the gravitational force of that body can be used to help slow down the ship. This is known as a gravitational slingshot and is commonly used in space travel to conserve fuel.

4. What impact does friction have on stopping a space ship?

Friction can have a significant impact on stopping a space ship. As the ship travels through space, it encounters particles and gases that create resistance and slow down the ship. This is known as atmospheric drag and can be a major factor in determining the force needed to stop a space ship.

5. How does the shape and design of a space ship affect the force needed to stop it?

The shape and design of a space ship can greatly impact the force needed to stop it. A streamlined and aerodynamic ship will experience less atmospheric drag and require less force to stop. Similarly, a ship with powerful thrusters or braking systems will require less force to slow down and stop compared to a ship with weaker propulsion systems.