1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force to voltage question

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    • Discussion of the design and/or manufacture of dangerous equipment is not permitted. Thread closed.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So the problem says a rail gun needs to launch a projectile having the set distance of of roughly 6.3m (this isnt a straight shot, its more of a parabolic arc) and it needs to move an object of weighing about 6.52g. So it asks Volts and Farads you would need to get this thing cooking... I am probably wrong but don't most electrical calculations assume perfect transfer of energy and electricity? So I dont know how to get a precise answer...

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz Law, equation for force

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I were to guess at this I would say 6.3 times 6.52, as per Lorentz Law... getting me roughly 41.076... then i took this and converted the force to volts, to get around 241.67V...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi RED119 and welcome to PF. Your statement of the problem, equations and attempt at a solution are quite vague. If you are not more specific, we may not be able to offer you help.

4. Sep 25, 2016 #3
    I get how my attempt at an answer it vague... since im really confused about how to get it... but how is the statement of the problem vague at all?

5. Sep 25, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Dangerous discussions (rail guns) are not permitted here. This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook