Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Force unification in Big Bang

1. May 24, 2016 #1
    I have been reading that until the universe was one Planck time old (10-43 seconds) all the forces were unified into one. Do we know why would they be unified? Is it very large temperatures and pressures? Could we replicate it in the labs one day? Today Electric and Magnetic force are unified into Electromagnetic force. Could they separate one day?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. We reason that, by current understanding, they must have been (for some ideas about physics to hold) ... due to the scale of the Universe at the time. You maybe want to treat it as an assumption to be tested.

Nobody knows.
    By current models - almost certainly not. This would involve compressing space-time itself.

The unification, in this case, was a mathematical unification ... a realization that what we had been calling two separate forces were, in fact, due to an underlying process looked at from different perspectives. This is to say: it's a correction of an historical misunderstanding: a mistake ... it is not clear how any existing force could separate into some collection of other forces as yet unknown but there is no reason to suspect that electromagnetism, should it split into other forces, would split into electricity and magnetism.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=228x42016

4. May 25, 2016 #3
    I read it on the wikipedia article on Big Bang. I know, wikipedia is not very accurate, this is probably one of the mistakes.

5. May 25, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think there is a tendency for sources to be a little glib when talking about big-bang cosmology. Wikipedia is echoing that.

You got to realise there are a lot of suppositions going on, and each model has a slightly different set.
    The "accepted" one is the one that best passes Occam's razor ... in this instance, it is the one where the forces unify when the density is high enough.
    It's one of the things you go into when you do a foundational cosmology course at post-grad college level. I'm having a real hard time finding someplace with a definitive statement about it. I've made a note to do something about that next time I have to teach this ;) so this is one of those cases where someone asking a "simple" question affects things at this end.

6. May 26, 2016 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

Well, one hint is given by the standard model. Interaction strengths depend on the energy scale of the process. One can show that for a certain energy scale, all three interaction strengths become almost equal. Because the corresponding energy scale is very high, and we suspect that the standard model needs extension for such high energy scales, many physicists suspect that this 'almost' is not a coincidence and becomes an 'exactly' once the standard model has been extended in the right way.

I think the inclusion of gravity in this unification is a bit more speculative, since we don't have a theory of quantum gravity yet. But I could be wrong here.

7. May 26, 2016 #6
    Would that mean that some forces are unified near the black holes?

8. May 28, 2016 #7

haushofer

Science Advisor

No. Being near black holes doesn't imply high-energetic processes. Actually, a local observer near the horizon doesn't experience anything spectaculair.

That is to say, when you look at it from a classical point of view. Nowadays so-called 'firewalls' are being proposed, and that would change the situation.

9. May 28, 2016 #8
    So what is then high energy process?

10. May 28, 2016 #9

haushofer

Science Advisor

A process which involves an energy (e.g. center of mass-energy) comparable to the GUT scale, in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted