Finding the Angle and Magnitude of a Resultant Force using Vector Addition

In summary, the resultant vector has an x-component of 600cos45+325(5/13)+790cos(theta), and a y-component of 325(12/13)+Fsin(theta)-600sin45.
Luongo
1. If the resultant force acting on the bracket is to be 790N directed along the positive x axis, determine the magnitude of F

2. Basically I got the components of the two vectors above and below F summed them up. I got THE RESULTANT X-component: 600cos45+325(5/13)+790cos(theta)

3. Same with the y component of the resultant HOW DO I GET THETA? I can't get the magnitude of F which is sqrt(Frx^2+Fry^2) without knowing that angle between x-axis and F. Does anyone know how to get that angle and what i do? Thanks!

Attachments

• F2-10.jpg
    F2-10.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Luongo! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Luongo said:
… I got THE RESULTANT X-component: 600cos45+325(5/13)+790cos(theta)[/b]

3. Same with the y component of the resultant HOW DO I GET THETA? I can't get the magnitude of F which is sqrt(Frx^2+Fry^2) without knowing that angle between x-axis and F. Does anyone know how to get that angle and what i do? Thanks!

(i assume that should be an = instead of that second + in the equation?)

I'm confused :confused: … you have a value for 790cosθ, don't you? ok, divide by 790 and use arccos.

(If you didn't have 790, and had only Fcosθ and Fsinθ, you would get tanθ by dividing, and F2 by squaring and adding :wink:)

Luongo said:
1. If the resultant force acting on the bracket is to be 790N directed along the positive x axis, determine the magnitude of F

2. Basically I got the components of the two vectors above and below F summed them up. I got THE RESULTANT X-component: 600cos45+325(5/13)+790cos(theta)
This equation is incorrect. The resultant force is 790 N in the x direction. You should have written 600cos45 + 325(5/13) +Fcostheta =790.
3. Same with the y component of the resultant
set up a similar equation with the y component of the known and unknown forces, all of which must sum to ______?
HOW DO I GET THETA?
solve for the 2 unknowns F and theta using the solution of the 2 equations with 2 unknowns (substitution method works best).

PhanthomJay said:
This equation is incorrect. The resultant force is 790 N in the x direction. You should have written 600cos45 + 325(5/13) +Fcostheta =790. set up a similar equation with the y component of the known and unknown forces, all of which must sum to ______? solve for the 2 unknowns F and theta using the solution of the 2 equations with 2 unknowns (substitution method works best).
well what's the answer? i don't understand i got
sqrt(Frx^2+Fry^2) = 790 shouldn't it but i still got 2 unknowns this makes no **** sense
where Frx = 325(5/13)+600cos45+Fcos(theta)=790 and Fry= 325(12/13)+Fsin(theta)-600sin45=0
treating as a system i get theta = 27.3 degrees??

Last edited:
Think about the resultant force and it's direction. This should allow to you solve for Fry. (No calculation required)

Then you'll have two equations and two unknowns which can be solved by a number of methods.

i got it! thanks guys! couldn't have done it without your help

Glad to hear you figured it out.

Try this question again later and see if you can generate the same equations as PhantomJay provided for the x and y components of the resultant vector, otherwise you're simply going to make the same mistake across all questions in which addition of vectors is required.

1. What is force vector addition?

Force vector addition is the process of combining multiple forces acting on an object in order to determine the resultant force or net force. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each force to determine the overall effect on the object.

2. Why is force vector addition important?

Force vector addition is important because it allows us to understand the overall effect of multiple forces on an object, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps us to predict and analyze the motion of objects in different scenarios.

3. How do you add force vectors?

To add force vectors, you must first break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, add the horizontal components together and the vertical components together. Finally, use trigonometric functions to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

4. What is the importance of direction in force vector addition?

The direction of a force is just as important as its magnitude in force vector addition. This is because forces can cancel each other out if they are acting in opposite directions, resulting in a net force of zero. Therefore, the direction of a force must be taken into consideration in order to accurately determine the resultant force.

5. Can force vector addition be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, force vector addition can be applied to real-world situations. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and even sports. For example, in sports like football or soccer, players must consider the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the ball to accurately pass or shoot it towards a desired location.