1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force/vectors problem

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1

Well I just set the sum of x and y components equal to 0 and got: force 3 = -65N in x and 43.3N in y which gave me a magnitude of 78.1 N and 146.3 degrees counterclockwise from x-axis. Right? Wrong? Thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Doesn't look right. I checked the vertical part - F1 has 25 N down. F3 should have 25 N up but, according to your answer, has 78.1*cos(146.3-90) = 43N up.
  4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    No, I don't think it's entierly correct.. I got my doubts first when it came to your angle - if you mean from the x-axis to the right (if you understand what I mean, I don't know the terminology at the moment), F3 is in the second quadrant, and if it's from the other x-axis, so to speak, it's in the fourth and neither make much sense.

I've been thinking for a while and it's your x-component that's wrong.. It's not supposed to be -65. It's supposed to be F2 - F1X, right? Redo this step.

Edit: Nah, the vertical's correct. The vertical is = F3 * sinθ, not cosθ. (In reply to what Delphi51 said (; )
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?