1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force vectors

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8128/66497284.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really confused about this question and not sure what to do. I've only been able to find the angles and don't really know what to do next. I also think that it i might need to know how to do cross products to find the expression but I'm not sure, since i haven't really learned about it yet. so i would not know when and how to apply it to this problem. If anyone can give me on how i should proceed in doing the problem in a. thanks.

Edit:
    So i've tried to draw a perpendicular line from end of F to AB and would get something like this
    Fab = Fcos55
    i've actually thought of this before but i'm not so sure if this would be allowed, like if it's breaking any rules or somthing

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2
    Start by drawing a triangle in which the sides are parallel to AB, perpendicular to AB and F itself. What do the sides of the triangle represent? And what can you conclude from that?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook