Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force vectors

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8128/66497284.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really confused about this question and not sure what to do. I've only been able to find the angles and don't really know what to do next. I also think that it i might need to know how to do cross products to find the expression but I'm not sure, since i haven't really learned about it yet. so i would not know when and how to apply it to this problem. If anyone can give me on how i should proceed in doing the problem in a. thanks.

Edit:
    So i've tried to draw a perpendicular line from end of F to AB and would get something like this
    Fab = Fcos55
    i've actually thought of this before but i'm not so sure if this would be allowed, like if it's breaking any rules or somthing

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2
    Start by drawing a triangle in which the sides are parallel to AB, perpendicular to AB and F itself. What do the sides of the triangle represent? And what can you conclude from that?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook