Finding the Hypotenuse with the Given Vector

• Thread starter frownifdown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: F2 by using sine law and remembering the concept of angles flipping. Another way to approach the problem is by determining the components of the two forces in the direction across the channel, which must be equal and opposite for the rear of the boat to not move in that direction.
frownifdown
Here is the link to the problem http://imgur.com/MGcfdr7

I'm not really sure how to approach this. I initially thought you would get the resultant vector by doing 125cos(38) and that gave me 98, which I then divided by the cos(45) to get the hypotenuse, or F2, which gave me 138.6. It says that this isn't the right answer so I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to construct the parallelogram first?

sevag00 said:
Did you try to construct the parallelogram first?

No, how would I go about solving for F2 with that?

By using sine law. You have two angles and F1.

sevag00 said:
By using sine law. You have two angles and F1.

Sorry, is there anyway you could set this up for me? I don't really understand what you're saying.

Untitled.png

By using sine law you can easily get F2.

Likes 1 person
sevag00 said:
Untitled.png

By using sine law you can easily get F2.

Oh awesome, thank you! Just got it after digging through my memories of old geometry classes. Forgot about the angles flipping and all that jazz. Thanks for everything

Here's another way which gives the same answer. Determine the components of the two forces in direction across the channel. They must be equal in magnitude and opposite in sign in order for the rear of the boat not to move in the cross channel direction.

Chet

What is a hypotenuse?

A hypotenuse is the longest side of a right triangle, opposite the right angle.

Why is it important to find the hypotenuse with a given vector?

Finding the hypotenuse with a given vector can help determine the magnitude and direction of the vector, which is useful in many scientific and mathematical calculations.

How do you find the hypotenuse with a given vector?

The hypotenuse of a right triangle can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

What information is needed to find the hypotenuse with a given vector?

To find the hypotenuse with a given vector, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector, as well as the angle between the vector and the hypotenuse.

Are there any other methods for finding the hypotenuse with a given vector?

Yes, there are other methods such as using trigonometric functions or vector addition. However, the Pythagorean theorem is the most commonly used method and is applicable to all right triangles.