1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Vectors

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    Here is the link to the problem http://imgur.com/MGcfdr7 [Broken]

I'm not really sure how to approach this. I initially thought you would get the resultant vector by doing 125cos(38) and that gave me 98, which I then divided by the cos(45) to get the hypotenuse, or F2, which gave me 138.6. It says that this isn't the right answer so I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2
    Did you try to construct the parallelogram first?

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    No, how would I go about solving for F2 with that?

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4
    By using sine law. You have two angles and F1.

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    Sorry, is there anyway you could set this up for me? I don't really understand what you're saying.

7. Oct 23, 2013 #6
    Untitled.png
    By using sine law you can easily get F2.

8. Oct 23, 2013 #7
    Oh awesome, thank you! Just got it after digging through my memories of old geometry classes. Forgot about the angles flipping and all that jazz. Thanks for everything

9. Oct 23, 2013 #8
    Here's another way which gives the same answer. Determine the components of the two forces in direction across the channel. They must be equal in magnitude and opposite in sign in order for the rear of the boat not to move in the cross channel direction.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted