1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Vectors

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When the thigh is fractured, the patient's leg must be kept under traction. One method of doing so is a variation on the Russell traction apparatus. If the physical therapist specifies that the traction force directed along the leg must be 25N, what must W be?
    8b998626-cd0d-4df1-b3c6-7e95154208c7-original.png

2. Relevant equations

W=mg
    T=mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I begin by saying that the horizontal dotted line has a force of 25N in each direction. Because that is where the traction force is. I believe that the horizontal component of tension in the rope is going to equal 25N as well. I use that to find my vertical components of tension. I solve: tan(35)=oppostie/25. I get the opposite to side to equal .028N. Because there are two of these tension in the horizontal direction. I get that the total tension that should be equal to W= .056N

I am wondering if somehow my solving is flawed

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The vertical component of tension is not equal to W.

There is no friction in the pulleys so what does that mean for the tension in the rope at all points?

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to clarify.. Suppose the 35 degree angle was reduced to zero by moving the two pulleys closer together. The vertical component would be zero but the system would still work wouldn't it.

5. Jun 13, 2015 #4
    What is this???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted