What is the velocity of a 5.46 kg object after 6 seconds?

In summary, an object with a mass of 5.46 kg is moving along the x-axis, starting from rest. The velocity at 6 seconds can be determined by finding the acceleration from t=0 to t=3, then t=3 to t=5, and finally t=5 to t=6 using the equations of motion in the x-direction. The Impulse - Momentum Theorem can also be used to solve this problem.
Shoebox

Homework Statement

5.46 kg object moves along the x-axis. It is starting from rest. What is the velocity at 6 seconds?

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=f/m

The Attempt at a Solution

x=5.46(v/6)[/B]

Attachments

• Force vs Time 1.jpg
    Force vs Time 1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again, dear Shoebox,

How can I help you ? Well, first of all: by completing the problem statement with "if the force applied is as shown in the graph" :wink:

Then with an innocent: the x in part 3 doesn't appear in parts 1 and 2. So what is this mysterious symbol representing ?

It must surely be something with the dimension of kg m/s, but o_O ?

Perhaps you want to be a bit more verbose and tell us what your game plan is ?

i was trying to find the velocity by multiplying the mass by force over time. looks like i got my variables mixed up. but i realize that this is not correct.
how about using F/m=a... the force at 6 seconds is 0. the mass is 5.46.. but 0/5.46 gives me 0 acceleration

You are given the value of the force F from t=0 to t=6. So, you can find the acceleration for t=0 to t=3, then t=3 to t=5, then t=5 to t=6. Using the equations of motion in the x-direction, you can find the velocity at the end of t=3 (which will be the velocity at the beginning of t=3 to t=5), t=5 and then finally t=6.

Likes julianwitkowski
so i could use the equation for the x direction: a=f/m. for 3-5 seconds that gave me an acceleration of -0.366 m/s2. now I am stuck

What does it mean that an object has an acceleration of a m/s2 ? Your relevant equation related F and a. That's good. What is the relationship between a and the speed, v ?

---

Start with the beginning at t=0. Force = ... ##\quad## acceleration = ... ##\quad##initial speed= ... ##\quad##speed after 3 s is ...##\quad##So speed at t=3 s is ...

Then do the stretch from 3-5 s. Force = -2 N ##\quad## acceleration = - 0.367 m/s2##\quad##initial speed= ... ##\quad##speed after 2 s is ...##\quad##So speed at t=5 s is ...

And then on to 6 s.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the Impulse - Momentum Theorem ?

i am not.. but using a kinematics chart works.

1. What is a force vs time graph?

A force vs time graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the force applied to an object and the time it takes for the object to move. The graph plots the force on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How do I interpret a force vs time graph?

To interpret a force vs time graph, you need to look at the slope of the line. The slope represents the rate of change of force over time. A steeper slope indicates a greater force, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller force. The area under the graph also represents the work done on the object.

3. How do I calculate the force from a force vs time graph?

The force can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on the graph. To do this, you need to select two points on the line and use the formula F = mΔa/Δt, where m is the mass of the object and Δa/Δt is the change in acceleration over time.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative slope on a force vs time graph?

A positive slope on a force vs time graph indicates an increasing force over time, while a negative slope indicates a decreasing force over time. A flat line with zero slope means no force is being applied to the object.

5. How can a force vs time graph be used in real-life scenarios?

Force vs time graphs are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects. They can be used to determine the force needed to move an object, the work done on the object, and the acceleration of the object. They are also useful in studying the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration according to Newton's second law of motion.