1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force vs Time Graph

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    5.46 kg object moves along the x-axis. It is starting from rest. What is the velocity at 6 seconds?
    2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    a=f/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    x=5.46(v/6)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello again, dear Shoebox,

How can I help you ? Well, first of all: by completing the problem statement with "if the force applied is as shown in the graph" :wink:

Then with an innocent: the x in part 3 doesn't appear in parts 1 and 2. So what is this mysterious symbol representing ?

It must surely be something with the dimension of kg m/s, but o_O ?

Perhaps you want to be a bit more verbose and tell us what your game plan is ?

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3
    i was trying to find the velocity by multiplying the mass by force over time. looks like i got my variables mixed up. but i realize that this is not correct.
    how about using F/m=a... the force at 6 seconds is 0. the mass is 5.46.. but 0/5.46 gives me 0 acceleration

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    You are given the value of the force F from t=0 to t=6. So, you can find the acceleration for t=0 to t=3, then t=3 to t=5, then t=5 to t=6. Using the equations of motion in the x-direction, you can find the velocity at the end of t=3 (which will be the velocity at the beginning of t=3 to t=5), t=5 and then finally t=6.

6. Mar 2, 2015 #5
    so i could use the equation for the x direction: a=f/m. for 3-5 seconds that gave me an acceleration of -0.366 m/s2. now im stuck

7. Mar 2, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does it mean that an object has an acceleration of a m/s2 ? Your relevant equation related F and a. That's good. What is the relationship between a and the speed, v ?

---

Start with the beginning at t=0. Force = ... ##\quad## acceleration = ... ##\quad##initial speed= ... ##\quad##speed after 3 s is ...##\quad##So speed at t=3 s is ....

Then do the stretch from 3-5 s. Force = -2 N ##\quad## acceleration = - 0.367 m/s2##\quad##initial speed= ... ##\quad##speed after 2 s is ...##\quad##So speed at t=5 s is ....

And then on to 6 s.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  8. Mar 2, 2015 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with the Impulse - Momentum Theorem ?

9. Mar 3, 2015 #8
    i am not.. but using a kinematics chart works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted