Calculating Vertical Velocity and Force: Jumping Physics Problems"

• Thread starter kooh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a boy with a mass of 82kg and a vertical leap of 1.2m, and the goal is to find his vertical velocity and the force he applies during a 30 cm lift after crouching. Using the equation v2^2=v1^2+2a(d), the initial velocity is found to be sqrt of 23.52m/s when the boy is standing up straight. The force he applies during the 30 cm lift is calculated by multiplying the acceleration during the lift by his mass, but this gives the net force and not the pushing force of the ground on him. More calculations are needed to find the actual pushing force of the ground.
kooh

Homework Statement

A boy has a mass of 82kg, and a vertical leap of 1.2m ,
Find the vertical velocity he leaves the ground to reach a max of 1.2m
Find the force he pushes during the 30 cm lift if he squats 30 cm before jumping

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used v2^2=v1^2+2a(d) to find what the v1 was, assuming v2 was 0 at the max.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right, what did you get for the initial velocity?

I got sqrt of 23.52 for the initial velocity when he is standing up straight

As for the force he applied when lifting the 30 cm after crouching I got,
3214.4N

for the 3214.4N , I found the acceleration he had during the 30 cm or .3m then multiplied it by his weight. I had v1 as 0 for this part.

Not sure if its 100% right tho

I used -9.8 m/s^2 (up) for acceleration for the first part of the question to find sqrt 23.52 as my initial velocity

kooh said:
I got sqrt of 23.52 for the initial velocity when he is standing up straight
good!
As for the force he applied when lifting the 30 cm after crouching I got,
3214.4N

for the 3214.4N , I found the acceleration he had during the 30 cm or .3m then multiplied it by his weight. I had v1 as 0 for this part.

Not sure if its 100% right tho
you multiplied it by his mass, not his weight, and what you ended up with was the net force acting on him during the 30 cm 'squat' motion. But the net force includes both the force of the ground pushing up on him and his weight acting down on him. You need to separate out the 2 to find the pushing force of the ground on him.

What is force when jumping?

Force when jumping is the amount of energy or strength that is exerted by the muscles when a person jumps. It is a combination of the force of gravity and the force generated by the muscles in the legs.

What factors affect the force when jumping?

The force when jumping is affected by several factors such as the height of the jump, the weight of the person, the strength and power of the leg muscles, and the speed of the jump.

Why is force when jumping important?

Force when jumping is important for many activities such as sports, dance, and gymnastics. It allows a person to generate enough power and momentum to perform a successful jump. It also helps to prevent injuries by absorbing the impact of the landing.

How can I increase the force when jumping?

To increase the force when jumping, you can work on strengthening your leg muscles through exercises such as squats, lunges, and calf raises. You can also improve your jumping technique and practice jumping with proper form.

What is the relationship between force and height when jumping?

The force when jumping is directly proportional to the height of the jump. This means that the higher you want to jump, the more force you need to generate. However, there is a limit to how much force your muscles can produce, so increasing the height of the jump also requires proper technique and form.