How do I find the other particular solution?

In summary, we are given a damped oscillator with a force F(t) = F0(1 - e-at) acting on it, where F0 and a are constants. We are asked to find the position x(t) of the oscillator, given its mass m, spring constant k = 2ma2, and damping constant b = 2ma. Using the differential equation d2x / dt2 + 2adx/dt + 2a2x = F0/m - F0/m * e-at and the initial conditions x(0) = 0 and x'(0) = 0, we find that the general solution is A*e-at*cos(at + \theta). To find the particular solutions,
FLms

Homework Statement

A Force F(t) = F0(1 - e-at), where both F0 and a are constants, acts over a damped oscillator. In t = 0, the oscillator is in it's equilibrium position. The mass of the oscillator is m, the spring constant is k = 2ma2 and the damping constant is b = 2ma.

Find x(t)

Homework Equations

Well, the differential equation is: d2x / dt2 + 2adx/dt + 2a2x = F0/m - F0/m * e-at

Also, x(0) = 0; x'(0) = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried to find the solution to the homogeneous equation associated.
So I tried a solution of the kind x = ept, and the I found: p2 + 2ap + 2 = 0
p = (-2a [tex]\pm[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{-4a^2}[/tex]) / 2
p = -a [tex]\pm[/tex] ia

So, it's an under-dampeing case, which the general solution is A*e-at*cos(at + [tex]\theta)[/tex].

Then I have to find the particular solutions, where xp1 = F0/m and xp2 = -F0/m * e-at.

xp1 is rather easy. C*xp1 = F0/m ; 2a2*xp1 = F0/m ; xp1 = F0/2ma2

Now I'm stuck at the other one. I tried solutions like x = C*ept and x = C*t2*ept (C = constant) and haven't got it right.

The answer is: x(t) = F0/ma2 * [[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]*e-at*cos(at + P/4) + 1 - 2e-at]

How do I find the other particular solution? What am I missing?
(By the way, should this be here or in the Calculus sub-forum?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FLms said:
Now I'm stuck at the other one. I tried solutions like x = C*ept and x = C*t2*ept (C = constant) and haven't got it right.
How do I find the other particular solution? What am I missing?
(By the way, should this be here or in the Calculus sub-forum?)

Hi,

You're almost there. To xp2, if you select x = C*ept as trial function, the only case that will work is p=a.

I used the trial [itex]x_{p2} = C e^{-a t}[/itex] and got close to the correct answer.

[tex]x_{p2} = C e^{-a t}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{x}_{p2} = -a C e^{-a t}[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x}_{p2} = a^2 C e^{_a t}[/tex]

Substituting:

[tex]a^2 C + 2 a^2 C - 2 a^2 C = \frac{-F_0}{m}[/tex]
[tex]C = \frac{F_0}{m a^2}[/tex]

So:

[tex]x(t) = A e^{-at}cos(at + \theta) + \frac{F_0}{2ma^2} - \frac{F_0}{ma^2} e^{-at}[/tex]

Applying the initial conditions:

[tex]x(0) = 0 = A cos(\theta) - \frac{F_0}{2ma^2}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{x}(0) = 0 = -a A cos(\theta) - a A sin(\theta) + \frac{F_0}{m a}[/tex]

Substituting [itex]A cos(\theta) = \frac{F_0}{2 m a^2}[/itex] on the second equation:

[tex]A sin(\theta) = \frac{F_0}{2 m a^2}[/tex]

[tex]A sin(\theta) = A cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Then:

[tex]A cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{F_0}{2 m a^2}[/tex]

[tex]A = \frac{\sqrt{2} F_0} {2 m a^2}[/tex]

And, finally:

[tex]x(t) = \frac{F_0}{2 m a^2} [\sqrt{2} e^{-at} cos(a t + \frac{\pi}{4}) + 1 - 2 e^{-a t}][/tex]

Still can't see what's wrong, or whatever I'm missing...

Last edited:

1. What is Forced Damped Oscillation?

Forced Damped Oscillation is a phenomenon in which an oscillating system, such as a pendulum or a spring-mass system, is subjected to an external force and also experiences damping due to friction or other resistive forces.

2. How does Forced Damped Oscillation differ from regular oscillation?

Regular oscillation occurs when a system is allowed to oscillate freely without any external forces or damping. In Forced Damped Oscillation, an external force is applied to the system, and damping effects cause the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a Forced Damped Oscillator?

The behavior of a Forced Damped Oscillator is affected by the amplitude and frequency of the external force, the mass and stiffness of the system, and the amount of damping present in the system.

4. How is Forced Damped Oscillation important in real-world applications?

Forced Damped Oscillation is important in many real-world applications, such as in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics. It can be used to model the behavior of systems under external forces and help in understanding the effects of damping on oscillating systems.

5. How is Forced Damped Oscillation analyzed mathematically?

The mathematical analysis of Forced Damped Oscillation involves solving a second-order differential equation, known as the forced harmonic oscillator equation. This equation takes into account the external force, damping coefficient, and other factors to determine the behavior of the oscillating system.