1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced, Damped Oscillations

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi. The problem is question 1(a) in the file below:
    http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/Courses/MAM24678/mod2od/Project1_07.pdf

3. The attempt at a solution

Question 1(a) is the one I have a problem with. I just don't know what he's getting at. Is y(x) the function that describes the road? And comparing y(t) and y(x) implies, to me, that x=vt, so it has a constant velocity with respect to the x-axis; a very odd thing to do...
    Is Y then the vertical displacement of the vehicle from the x-axis? So the car is like a mass on a spring ,on the road? I have no idea how he derived that Differential Equation.

Please, any help on deriving the differential equation would be great

Any help is much appreciated thanks.

(P.S. I need this pronto please !)

Ok, what I did. First I said:
    Y = y + p + l
    l is the relaxed length of the spring (a constant), and p is the displacement from the equilibrium position of the mass on the spring. If you re-write:
    p = Y - y - l
    then find the equation of motion of the mass on the spring:
    m[d^2(p)]/dt^2 = -kp -c(dp/dt)

And plugging in p = Y - y -l, but this does not give the correct answer. I really do not know how to get the differential equation, help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2
    I'm wondering- is this in the correct section? Should I have posted this elsewhere?

4. Apr 7, 2008 #3
    Ok, I'll just write out the question here:

Suppose that a car oscillates vertically as if it were a mass m on a single spring with constant k, attached to a single dashpot (dashpot provides resistance) with constant c. Suppose that this car is driven along a washboard road surface with an amplitude a and a wavelength L (Mathematically the 'washboard surface' road is one with the elevation given by y=asin(2*pi*x/L).)

(a) Show that the upward displacement of the car Y satisfies the equation:

[tex]m\ddot{Y} + c\dot{Y} + kY = c\dot{y} + ky[/tex]

where y(t) = asin(2*pi*v*t/L)
    and v is the velocity of the car.

5. Apr 7, 2008 #4
    Please, anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?