1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced Damped SHM, AC CLR circuit.

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I've recently finished an experiment on forced damped simple harmonic motion with a CLR "capacitor , inductor, resistor" circuit with the aim to measure the resonance frequency of the system, using a family of graphs for which each the resistance is varied.

voltages in series CLR circuit:
    L[itex]\frac{di}{dt}[/itex] + iR +[itex]\frac{q}{C}[/itex]= V = V[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos(ωt)

solution to this:
    I =[itex]\frac{V0}{Z}[/itex] cos(ωt+[itex]\varphi[/itex])

phase angle is then given by:
    tan([itex]\varphi[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{ωL-\frac{1}{ωC}}{R}[/itex]

so v and I are in phase when [itex]\varphi[/itex]=0, when ωL = [itex]\frac{1}{ωC}[/itex]

so ω0 = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/itex]

f0 =[itex]\frac{1}{2Pi\sqrt{LC}}[/itex]

for this experiment L=0.175H stated not verified, C =1[itex]\mu[/itex]F, R was varied from 10 - 600 ohms to obtain a family of curves.

Experimental method:
    Voltage from AC source was set to 1V and monitored for all readings
    measured voltage across capacitor
    measured voltage across resistor
    changed frequency repeat above steps several times
    increase R repeat above

Graphed Vc / f
    Graphed current through resistor / f

2. Relevant equations

So where I'm stuck, is from my data to obtain f0 it's about 392±1 Hz
    and all my data is consistent that f0 should be above 380 Hz
    from the derivation and stated values of C and L it should be around 380Hz

during the experiment my errors were very small affecting the 3rd significant figure.

could this be systematic errors?
    stated values of L and C are wrong slightly?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have done some research and it could be possible to have a small defect within inductor, chances are it is a old component. Maybe there is a source of systematic error but I find this hard since experimentally I was only reading volt meters.

So I'm after a bit of new perspective, I'm sure that I have over looked something and would be grateful for your help.

Sorry I'm a physics a math's undergrad at university, but looking at the complexity of other problems in the Advanced section, this might need to be moved. My apologies.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?