1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced Frequency

1. Jan 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the following is a forced frequency acting on the oscillations?

I. A pendulum skims the surface of a pool of water at the lowest point of motion.
    II. To keep a bell ringing, a bell ringer pulls on a bell rope.
    III. A singer shatters a glass.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess would be all 3 as each of these situations has an external force. But I'm not quite sure as I read an example saying that the singer situation would be mechanical resonance. Does that mean it's still forced frequency? Also, I'm unsure as to whether the first situation is referring to the waves which result from the pendulum (I don't think so) or the oscillations of just the pendulum. In that case, I think the answers would be I and II. I just don't really understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, all three.
    The pendulum swings due to initial condition(s), e.g. a finite displacement & then let go. It would continue swinging (assuming no friction) the same way forever. However, since the pendulum touches water at its low point that forces a change to the oscillatory motion.
    The sound applies a forcing function to the glass, otherwise it would not vibrate unless again a finite initial condition were imposed, e.g. the glass is stresses (bent) and then let go.

4. Jan 17, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much for the explanation. I understand it a lot better now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted