1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced oscillation/resonance

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive a formula for ##x_p## if the equation is ##mx''+cx'+kx=F_0\cos(\omega t)+F_1\color{red}{\cos}(\color{red}{3}\omega t)##. Assume ##c>0##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've started off using a guess and the undetermined coefficients method, but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

Try ##x_p=A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t)+C\cos(3\omega t)+D\sin(3\omega t)##

##x_p'=-A\omega\sin(\omega t)+B\omega\cos(\omega t)-3C\omega\sin(3\omega t)+3D\omega\cos(3\omega t)##

##x_p''=-A\omega^2\cos(\omega t)-B\omega^2\sin(\omega t)-9C\omega^2\cos(3\omega t)-9D\omega^2\sin(3\omega t)##

And this gives me the system
    ##\begin{cases}-Am\omega^2+Bc\omega+Ak=F_0\\ -Bm\omega^2-Ac\omega+Bk=0\\ -9Cm\omega^2+3Dc\omega+Ck=F_1\\ -9Dm\omega^2-3Cc\omega+Dk=0\end{cases}##

I'm not sure where to go from here, or if I'm on the right track in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am wondering why you assumed sin(3wt) and cos(3wt) terms in x_p?

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    I was under the impression that that's the usual way to go about a nonhomogenous equation like this one.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not, although maybe if you carried it out correctly the 3w terms would not have had any impact.

Fact: if it's a linear ODE and your forcing functions are sin(wt) and/or cos(wt) then you cannot get anything but sin(wt) and/or cos(wt) terms in the solution. I mean, no harmonic terms like sin(3wt) or cos(3wt) etc. (You can still get exp(kt) and/or constant terms however. But not in this case where there were no initial conditions given.)

6. Mar 1, 2013 #5
    So, my guess for x_p should have been ##x_p=A\cos(\omega t)+B\cos(3\omega t)##?

7. Mar 1, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, here you go again with the 3w terms! :smile:
    Try one more time ...

8. Mar 1, 2013 #7
    Just the ##A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t)## then? Or without the sine term? The examples in my book are confusing and not very well-organized, so it's hard to tell what the author's doing. At one point, he omits the sine term and uses only the cosine term, but doesn't explain it.

9. Mar 1, 2013 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Got it!

Even if there had been only a F1sin(wt) or only a F2cos(wt) forcing function you should sstill have assumed x_p = F1 sin + F2 cos. Initial conditions could generate both a sin and a cos term in the solution even if the forcing function were only sin OR cos.

Gotta go for a couple hrs.

10. Mar 1, 2013 #9
    Ah, I think I get it now. Thanks for the help!

11. Mar 1, 2013 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good! Shoot me over your answer if you want to compare.

12. Mar 1, 2013 #11
    I've altered my original post, but I don't see a way to solve for A and B here. I tried eliminating the first term of each equation and I get
    ##(A^2+B^2)c\omega=F_0 B##, but I don't know what I can do with that.

(I multiplied the first equation by B and the second by -A, then added them together.)

13. Mar 1, 2013 #12

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would anyone give you that forcing function? F_0 + F_1 = F why not?

I believe you need to look at the posed question a third time ...

14. Mar 1, 2013 #13
    Actually, there should be a 3 in front of the second omega... Darn typos. I'll fix it right away.

15. Mar 1, 2013 #14

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's just algebra. Since it's just that and your equations are all correct Ill give you what I got:
    A = F_0(k - mw2)/Δ
    B = wcF_0/Δ
    where Δ = (k - mw2)2 + w2c2.

(BTW I used software to solve those equations. Do you know the determinant way to solve simultaneous algebraic linear equations? I did it tyat way also.)

16. Mar 1, 2013 #15

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That totally changes things. Makes it messier.

Now you need x = Asin(wt) + Bcos(wt) + Csin(3wt) + Dcos(3wt).

Note again that, this being a linear equation, you know ahead of time that you will only get sin/cos(wt) and sin/cos(3wt) terms. No other frequencies than w and 3w. I presume you know that w = 2pi f so the only two frequencies present in x(t) and all its derivatives will be w/2pi and 3w/2pi Hz.

17. Mar 1, 2013 #16
    So, everything I had in my first post is still right? And I'm back to somehow finding expressions for A through D?

18. Mar 1, 2013 #17

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is sadly correct.

19. Mar 1, 2013 #18
    Well, at least it's nice to know I wasn't doing anything wrong in the first place...:frown:

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the input

20. Mar 2, 2013 #19
    I haven't tried it out yet, but is it possible variation of parameters could be a better approach than undetermined coefficients?

21. Mar 2, 2013 #20
    Alright, so here's what I've got using variation of parameters.
    The characteristic polynomial gives me the solutions

##x_1=\exp\left(\frac{-c+\sqrt{c^2-4mk}}{2m}t\right)##
    ##x_2=\exp\left(\frac{-c-\sqrt{c^2-4mk}}{2m}t\right)##

I let ##a = \frac{-c+\sqrt{c^2-4mk}}{2m}## and ##b=\frac{-c-\sqrt{c^2-4mk}}{2m}##, and determine the Wronskian:

##W(x_1,x_2)=\left|\begin{matrix}\exp(at)&\exp(bt)\\ a\exp(at)& b\exp(bt)\end{matrix}\right|=(b-a)\exp((a+b)t)\not=0##, since ##a\not=b##.

##W(x_1,x_2)=-\frac{\sqrt{c^2-4mk}}{m}\exp\left(-\frac{c}{m}t\right)##

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ##x_p=x_1u_1+x_2u_2##, where

##\displaystyle u_1=-\int\frac{x_2(F_0\cos(\omega t)+F_1\cos(3\omega t))}{W(x_1,x_2)}dt##

and

##\displaystyle u_2=\int\frac{x_1(F_0\cos(\omega t)+F_1\cos(3\omega t))}{W(x_1,x_2)}dt##

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

##\displaystyle u_1=\frac{1}{a-b}\int e^{-at}(F_0\cos(\omega t)+F_1\cos(3\omega t)) \;dt##

##\displaystyle u_2=\frac{1}{b-a}\int e^{-bt}(F_0\cos(\omega t)+F_1\cos(3\omega t)) \;dt##

Then integration by parts... I'll be back when I finish that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted