How do I solve this forced oscillation differential equation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation involving a mass attached to a spring with an additional external force. The attempt at a solution involves separating the equation into homogeneous and inhomogeneous parts, and using an assumed solution for the homogeneous part. The conversation also discusses different methods for solving the inhomogeneous part, including using polynomials and a convolution integral. Finally, it is suggested to absorb the external force into the equation and solve for a new differential equation.
Lizwi

Homework Statement

Please help me solve this differential equation: This is mass attached to a spring, we have

F= ma= -kx -bv + Fext where k and v are spring constant and velocity respectively and Fext is an additional external force.

Homework Equations

I know how to solve nonhomogeneous differential equations mathematically but on the right of the above equation is not a function so I stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this way:
writing the above as differential equation I have
md2x/dt2 + bdx/dt + kx = Fext
for homogeneous part md2x/dt2 + bdx/dt + kx=0
the solution I assumed is x(t) =Aept
the first derivative of the assumed solution is x'(t)= Apept and the second derivative is x''(t)= Ap2ept
substituting all these x(t), x'(t) and x''(t) to the differential equation and divide by
Aept I get:

mp2 + bp+k=0
for inhomogeneous part I don't know ho to handle this right hand side Fext. Please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lizwi! :smile:
Lizwi said:
… and Fext is an additional external force.

Is Fext a constant?

You need to find any solution for the whole equation …

try polynomials first (starting with constants!) :wink:

You need to know the explicit expression for your driving function first, so you can "guess" at the inhomogeneous solution. What is it?

You could express the solution for any right side function by means of a convolution integral, but that is only a symbolic solution and not good for too much.

just absorb the external force into x i.e. x' = x + F. If it's a constant then it's not too difficult to solve, if it isn't then you have another (manageable) diff equation to solve.

1. What is a forced oscillation differential equation?

A forced oscillation differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a system over time when an external force is applied to it. It is typically used to model systems such as a mass-spring system or an electrical circuit.

2. How do I know if a differential equation is a forced oscillation equation?

A differential equation is considered a forced oscillation equation if it contains a term that represents an external force acting on the system. This term is usually denoted as F(t) or f(t).

3. How do I solve a forced oscillation differential equation?

The general method for solving a forced oscillation differential equation is to first solve the homogeneous equation (without the external force term) and then find a particular solution that satisfies the entire equation. This can be done using methods such as variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients.

4. What are the key components of a forced oscillation differential equation?

The key components of a forced oscillation differential equation are the independent variable (usually time), the dependent variable (the quantity being measured), the natural frequency of the system, the damping coefficient, and the external force term.

5. Are there any applications of forced oscillation differential equations in real life?

Yes, forced oscillation differential equations are commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze various systems, such as mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and even biological systems. They are also used in fields such as signal processing and control theory.