Forced Oscillations frequency

In summary, the problem involves calculating the number of people walking on a bridge based on the amplitude of lateral oscillations caused by a periodic lateral force. The force constant and damping constant are used in the equation to find the maximum driving force and ultimately the number of people. The problem also provides information about the decay of undriven oscillations and the period of the undriven, undamped system.
Aki
I'm doing this problem from Mastering Physics, and I'm really stuck on this problem

Assume that, when we walk, in addition to a fluctuating vertical force, we exert a periodic lateral force of amplitude 25 N at a frequency of about 1 Hz. Given that the mass of the bridge is about 2000 kg per linear meter, how many people were walking along the 144 m-long central span of the bridge at one time, when an oscillation amplitude of 75 mm was observed in that section of the bridge? Take the damping constant to be such that the amplitude of the undriven oscillations would decay to 1/e of its original value in a time t=6T, where T is the period of the undriven, undamped system.

Can someone please help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the response of a driven damped oscillator in terms of the amplitude of the driving force, right? Since you know the amplitude of the response you want, try to work backwards and find the amplitude of the driving force you need.

did anyone get this problem ?? I've been trying to solve this and I am really confused :S

this question took me foreverbut some things I got out of it

that in order to solve for the number of people you need to find Fmax, and then use the relationship Fmax/ Favg = number of people. In this case u know Favg = 25N..

To find Fmax you need to know that it is Ares(amplitude resonance)*b*w_d...

to find d you need to use the hints, lol its too complicated to explain...

otherwise took me forever but worked

i can't figure out how to find b ? the damping constant

the damping constant is equal to (m*omega)/ (6pi) if u use the information they tell you about decaying in t = 6T.

thanks ! finally figured it out...

please hellppp!

can someone tell me how to calculate the force constant(do we need it?) and the Fmax? do the frequency of pedestrians have a close value to the natural frequency of bridge when resonance occurs?so can we omit the (w_0)^2 - (w_d)^2 in the denominator of the formula? and finally, what is the max value of the driving force when resonance occurs?please heelllllppp:confused:

defne said:
can someone tell me how to calculate the force constant(do we need it?) and the Fmax? do the frequency of pedestrians have a close value to the natural frequency of bridge when resonance occurs?so can we omit the (w_0)^2 - (w_d)^2 in the denominator of the formula? and finally, what is the max value of the driving force when resonance occurs?please heelllllppp:confused:
Are you asking about the original problem in this thread, or is this a new problem.

A force or load is applied to structure. There are live loads (e.g. traffic) and dead loads (the weight of the structure).

Pedestrians on a foot bridge do not normally walk with the natural frequency of a well designed bridge. Pedestrians do not normally walk in phase as a group.

wobbling bridge

Astronuc said:
Are you asking about the original problem in this thread, or is this a new problem.

A force or load is applied to structure. There are live loads (e.g. traffic) and dead loads (the weight of the structure).

Pedestrians on a foot bridge do not normally walk with the natural frequency of a well designed bridge. Pedestrians do not normally walk in phase as a group.

I am asking about the original problem i.e. :

given information:
Consider an oscillating system of mass m and natural angular frequency omega_n. When the system is subjected to a periodic external (driving) force, whose maximum value is F_max and angular frequency is omega_d, the amplitude of the driven oscillations is

A= F_max / (sqrt((k-mw_d^2)^2+(bw_d)^2))
or
A= (F_max/m) / (sqrt((w_n^2-w_d^2)^2+(b(w_d)/m)^2))
where k is the force constant of the system and b is the damping constant.

question:
(Assume that, when we walk, in addition to a fluctuating vertical force, we exert a periodic lateral force of amplitude 25 N at a frequency of about 1 Hz. Given that the mass of the bridge is about 2000 kg per linear meter, how many people were walking along the 144 m-long central span of the bridge at one time, when an oscillation amplitude of 75 mm was observed in that section of the bridge? Take the damping constant to be such that the amplitude of the undriven oscillations would decay to 1/e of its original value in a time t=6T, where T is the period of the undriven, undamped system.)

Last edited:
i have solved the problem, thanks...

What is the definition of "Forced Oscillations frequency"?

The Forced Oscillations frequency is the frequency at which an external force is applied to a system, causing it to oscillate or vibrate.

How is the frequency of forced oscillations calculated?

The frequency of forced oscillations can be calculated using the equation f = ω/2π, where f is the frequency, ω is the angular frequency, and 2π is a constant.

What factors affect the frequency of forced oscillations?

The frequency of forced oscillations is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the system, and the amplitude of the external force.

Can the frequency of forced oscillations be changed?

Yes, the frequency of forced oscillations can be changed by altering the external force or by adjusting the mass or stiffness of the system.

What is the significance of forced oscillations frequency in real-world applications?

The forced oscillations frequency is important in understanding and controlling vibrations in various systems, such as bridges, buildings, and musical instruments. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and music to analyze and design systems that involve oscillations.