Calculations involving a Forced Venturi system

In summary, to scavenge 25 cfm continuously from a 1.5" diameter pipe, the jet must be sized to operate at a lower pressure and flow rate than the available air supply. Based on the design variables of the unit, the engineer was able to calculate an equation for median range.
William Burleson
I have a model venturi I've created useing a air compressor letting the compressed air out of a small nozzle at the end of the air hose attached to the compressor. The nozzle is placed within a pipe causing the release of air directly torward the right of the pipe then to atmosphere leaving very little restriction within the pipe. The left of the pipe is a sealed system which has about 25cfm of air spilling from it into the left of the pipe.ó Simply put, how do i calculate the needed amount of air needed to pass through the nozzle into the pipe to create sufficient suction to pull the 25cfm from the left of the nozzle to the right and leave a less than atmospheric pressure behind the nozzle. (Leave a minor vacuem) The variables i have are: pipe diameter 1.5" available cfm from compressor is available up to 120cfm.
I may be overcomplicating the obvious, but the goal is to scavenge the 25cfm constantly as effectivly as possible.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The design of these units is part science, art and experience; and, in most cases it is more of a trial and error process. I designed a steam water jet pump variation many years ago based upon a similar unit of ta different geometric configuration and did not have clue as to how my unit would perform until we tested it. So it is really in your best interest to buy a unit sized for your requirements from a current manufacturer.

I don't know if you have already done a web search on this subject; but, I did a quick one today and found the below paper on the "design of air/air eductors" which illustrates all of the design variables and supposedly the equations, but even before you look at it, I warn you that it is essentially indecipherable as a design guide.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/212391.pdf

The only basic advice I can give you if you decide to try and design your own unit is that it should be designed so the jet is sized to operate at a pressure and flow rate below that available from its air supply system so that a valve may be installed ahead of the jet to adjust its flow to obtain the best results on your first try and then based upon the test results try to scale that design to match your requirements; but, don't expect to get there with only one design revision.

PS This is advise from an engineer with 20 years of experience in new product research and development for high performance pressure relief valves and a patent for an automated steam/water eductor pump design.

The link was very helpful in getting me calcuable efficiency equation. I should be able to tinker with its variables to find the median range. I am a newb inventor and in route to be testing scavengeing systems for efficiency retrieval on engines with performance increases. Since when was a giant metel plumber pipe good enough for anything besides tiolets and bath tubs? Lol. Thanks!

1. What is a Forced Venturi system?

A Forced Venturi system is a type of fluid flow system that uses a Venturi tube to create a pressure drop and increase the flow velocity of a fluid. It is commonly used in industrial settings to move air, gas, or liquids through a pipe or duct.

2. How do you calculate the flow rate in a Forced Venturi system?

The flow rate in a Forced Venturi system can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the change in pressure and the change in velocity of the fluid as it passes through the Venturi tube. Other factors such as the diameter of the tube, fluid density, and viscosity may also need to be considered in the calculation.

3. What are the advantages of using a Forced Venturi system?

Forced Venturi systems are known for their high efficiency, as they can achieve a significant increase in flow velocity with a minimal pressure drop. They also have a simple design and do not require any moving parts, making them low maintenance and cost-effective.

4. How does the shape of the Venturi tube affect the performance of a Forced Venturi system?

The shape of the Venturi tube, specifically the ratio of its throat diameter to its inlet diameter, can greatly affect the performance of a Forced Venturi system. A smaller throat diameter can result in a higher flow velocity, while a larger throat diameter can lead to a lower pressure drop.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Forced Venturi system?

While Forced Venturi systems have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They may not be suitable for handling fluids with high viscosity or solids, as this can cause clogging in the Venturi tube. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations may be affected by external factors such as turbulence and changes in temperature.