Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced Vibration

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    In forced vibration, amplitude of vibration changes periodically. Is it right ? I think it is a correct statement, since the amplitude of vibration is a periodic function.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you suggesting that you get a 'beat'?
    You don't get a beat, just a reduced amplitude of response. The level will depend on the Q of the resonator and the frequency offset.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I think there may be a bit of a terminology confusion here. The displacement is a periodic function in vibration. The amplitude is the maximum displacement, so it is not periodic.

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4
    So, does it decays exponentially then....... ( I mean amplitude of the forced vibration)

6. Sep 10, 2013 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The term 'forced vibration' means that a steady vibration frequency is applied. The result is a 1/exponential growth in amplitude takes place over time, until a max amplitude is reached. When the exitation is removed, there is an exponential decay in amplitude. There is no change in frequency at any time except for a small possible 'ringing' due to a discontinuity on switch on and switch off. But that is not usually considered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook