1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced Vibration

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    In forced vibration, amplitude of vibration changes periodically. Is it right ? I think it is a correct statement, since the amplitude of vibration is a periodic function.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you suggesting that you get a 'beat'?
    You don't get a beat, just a reduced amplitude of response. The level will depend on the Q of the resonator and the frequency offset.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I think there may be a bit of a terminology confusion here. The displacement is a periodic function in vibration. The amplitude is the maximum displacement, so it is not periodic.

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4
    So, does it decays exponentially then....... ( I mean amplitude of the forced vibration)

6. Sep 10, 2013 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The term 'forced vibration' means that a steady vibration frequency is applied. The result is a 1/exponential growth in amplitude takes place over time, until a max amplitude is reached. When the exitation is removed, there is an exponential decay in amplitude. There is no change in frequency at any time except for a small possible 'ringing' due to a discontinuity on switch on and switch off. But that is not usually considered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook