1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced Vibrations : Resonance

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    I am looking at forced vibrations and I have come across this:

(w_max)^2 = (w_0)^2 - (1/2)y^2

Now I am not entirely sure of what the (w_max) is. ANd where does this equation come from? It was simply stated without a derivation.

THanks guys!:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is simply a blank page with that formula on it?

Surely there is some sort of context. As you write it I not only do not know what w_max is, I also don't know what w_0 is or what y is!

4. Mar 6, 2009 #3
    W_O is the natural/resonance frequency for the system being driven by a force with frequency w.

y is the width, or the damping constant divided by the mass of the oscillator.

The equation comes up in resonance. I think it has to do with the maximum amplitude of the system ?

5. Mar 6, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That expression comes up a lot in damped driven oscillations- not just masses and springs, but any sort of linear oscillator.

W_max is the exact resonance frequency, w_0 is the "classical resonance frequency" (i.e. the resonance without damping present).

This expression is strightforward to derive beginning with the 2nd order ODE for a damped, driven oscillator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator

(about half-way down)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook