1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced vibrations w/ damping problem

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1

huk

A spring is stretched 6 inches by a mass that weighs 8 lb. The mass is attached to a dashpot mechanism that has a damping constant of 0.25 lb-sec/ft and is acted on by an external force of 4cos(2t) lb.

a) Determine the steady-state response of this system
    b) If the given mass is replaced by a mass m, determine the value of m for which the amplitude of the steady-state response is maximum.

I got part a but didnt get part b.... Im not sure where to start... can anyone tell me how to start it? or any tips?

ps the answer to a is U(t) = (8/901)(30cos(2t)+sin(2t)) ft

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Write the expression for U(t) in terms of m (do not substitute m=8 lb).

Find the amplitude A(m), to be half the difference between the minimal and maximal values of U(t). The minima and maxima can be found from dU(t)/dt = 0.

Maximize the amplitude by setting dA(m)/dm = 0.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3

huk

I actually got it already. Sorry about it but thanks anyways. it was such a simple calculus problem.................

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?