Exploring the Effects of Coriolis and Centrifugal Forces on Railway Motion

• Thread starter Like Tony Stark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the train experiences Coriolis force, which tries to push it off the track (because the angular velocity is in ##z## and the velocity in ##x##, so the cross producto would be in ##y##). There is also centrifugal force, which tries to push it to the ground (the cross product between ##\omega## and ##\vec r## is to the right, and the cross product between ##\omega## and the last one points inside).
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Suppose there is a train of mass ##m## which moves with constant velocity ##v##. It moves on a horizontal railway which is (two options)
A) in the North Pole
B) in the Equator from South to North

What horizontal force would exert the railway on the train, and what horizontal force would exert the wheels on the railway?
Relevant Equations
Coriolis and centrifugal force
I think that there could be friction, but I try to think on forces related to the motion along the Earth, which rotates. Like when you're on a car that turns to the left and you feel pushed to the right. Do the wheels do the same to railway? Would there be Coriolis force? Because that's just centrifugal force

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes there is friction, but from the context it sounds like they are looking for forces due to motion of the earth.

When talking about friction be careful when thinking about friction between the wheel and the track. For example think about the extreme case where there is no friction with the track.

When thinking about Coreolis type force, remember what a force is. You can think about Mass x Acceleration, or think about Change in Momentum with respect to time. So as the Earth moves from West to East at a certain horizontal velocity, say 1 mile South of the equator, the train will have the same Eastward component since it is locked in with the track due to the rims. Now as it arrives at the Equator, how has the Eastward component of velocity (and momentum) changed?

You need to clarify what they mean by "in the North Pole" what direction is it moving? But there is a video that I will find which may help you.

Likes Like Tony Stark
scottdave said:
Yes there is friction, but from the context it sounds like they are looking for forces due to motion of the earth.

When talking about friction be careful when thinking about friction between the wheel and the track. For example think about the extreme case where there is no friction with the track.

When thinking about Coreolis type force, remember what a force is. You can think about Mass x Acceleration, or think about Change in Momentum with respect to time. So as the Earth moves from West to East at a certain horizontal velocity, say 1 mile South of the equator, the train will have the same Eastward component since it is locked in with the track due to the rims. Now as it arrives at the Equator, how has the Eastward component of velocity (and momentum) changed?

You need to clarify what they mean by "in the North Pole" what direction is it moving? But there is a video that I will find which may help you.

Let me see if I've understood... the train moves with its velocity but it suffers Coriolis force, which pushes it agains the ground (because the angular velocity is in ##z## and the velocity in ##x##, so the cross producto would be in ##y##). Then, it would have centrifugal force which will also push it to the ground (the cross product between ##\omega## and ##\vec r## is to the right, and the cross product between ##\omega## and the last one points inside)

I'll wait for the video!

I think they want to know the "force" that the train feels in a horizontal direction (in relation to the track and the ground). Like this:
Code:
The train is moving at a certain speed toward
the east when south of the equator.
As it arrives at the equator, is it's
Easterly speed faster or slower
than before?

Then ask that question again after it has crossed the equator.
You may want to ask your instructor for clarification.

Like Tony Stark said:
Let me see if I've understood... the train moves with its velocity but it suffers Coriolis force, which pushes it agains the ground (because the angular velocity is in ##z## and the velocity in ##x##, so the cross producto would be in ##y##). Then, it would have centrifugal force which will also push it to the ground (the cross product between ##\omega## and ##\vec r## is to the right, and the cross product between ##\omega## and the last one points inside)

I'll wait for the video!
Take a look at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force#Formula. The explanation distinguishes Euler, Coriolis and centrifugal forces.

There is no Euler force since the rotation is constant.

The angular velocity vector is along the axis of the Earth, not in the z direction. So what direction is the Coriolis force in?
Personally, I find it simpler to think in terms of whether the eastward velocity of the Earth's surface is greater where the object is coming from or where it is going to.

For centrifugal, note the question only asks about horizontal forces.

Btw, the question says the train's velocity is constant, but I think you should assume it stays on the ground.

What are the different types of forces acting on a railway?

The main forces acting on a railway are the weight of the train and its cargo, the friction between the train and the tracks, and the aerodynamic forces caused by air resistance. Other forces may include the curvature of the tracks, the gradient of the tracks, and external forces such as wind or earthquakes.

How do these forces affect the train?

The weight of the train and its cargo determines the amount of friction needed to keep the train on the tracks. Friction is essential for the train to accelerate, decelerate, and make turns safely. Aerodynamic forces can also affect the train's speed and stability. Curvature and gradient of the tracks can cause the train to experience lateral forces, which may lead to derailment if not properly managed.

How do engineers design and account for these forces when building railways?

Engineers consider the weight of the train and its cargo when designing the tracks, ensuring that they can withstand the load. They also take into account the friction between the train and tracks, designing the tracks and wheels to minimize wear and tear. Aerodynamic forces are also considered in the design of the trains and tracks. Curvature and gradient are carefully planned to ensure the safe operation of the train.

What safety measures are in place to prevent accidents caused by these forces?

Safety measures include regular maintenance of the tracks and trains to minimize wear and tear caused by friction. Trains are also equipped with mechanisms such as brakes and speed governors to control their speed and prevent accidents caused by excessive force. Proper training and regulations for train operators also ensure that the forces acting on the railway are managed safely.

How do these forces impact the overall efficiency and sustainability of railway systems?

The forces acting on the railway can impact the efficiency of train operations, as well as the lifespan of the tracks and trains. Excessive friction and wear can lead to increased maintenance costs and slower train speeds. Engineers and researchers are constantly working to improve the design and materials used in railway systems to minimize the impact of these forces and make them more sustainable and efficient.