1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces acting on an object

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object that is moving at a constant speed velocity is acted upon by three forces. One force is 150 N along the x-axis, the second is 100 N along a direction making a counterclockwise angle of 120° with the x-axis. What is the magnitude of the third force?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure, these are the only ones I THINK are remotely relevant (but I have no idea which is why I'm posting here)

F_x = Fcosθ
    F_y = Fsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution

6ca5e8152f0c14967495a8a01c2ab9a4.png

I thought it would just be either 100 N (the same as the northwest force 120° from x-axis) or it would be something involving the Pythagorean Theorem (100^2 + f^2 = 150^2 or 100^2 + 150^2 = 150^2)

Anyone? This is urgent. My whole class is confused.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Since it's moving at a constant velocity, what is the sum of the forces on the object?

4. Oct 27, 2013 #3
    zero

5. Oct 27, 2013 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

And the x and y directions are independent. So you have two equations, two variables, yeah?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted