1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces and angles question

1. Feb 28, 2005 #1
    I'm having trouble with this question because of the angles. Could someone point me in the right direction.

Two forces F1 and F2 act on a body of mass 28kg. F1 has a magnitude of 8N and is directed due east. The second force F2 has a magnitude of 10N and acts in a direction 50 degrees west of north. Find the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of the 28kg mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2005 #2
    Maybe you'll find it easier to think of F2 as being "40 degrees north of west" instead of "50 degrees west of north". Then, resolve F2 into a West component and a North component using sin 50 and cos 50. The question is, which is which?

Draw a diagram & you should be able to figure that out.

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You needn't change the angles...Simply choosing mutually perpendicular axis and ading the vectors in terms of components will do the job...

Daniel.

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4
    vectors and angles...

I think I understand how to figure out each component individually but am unsure how to put them together toget the magnitude and direction.

6. Mar 2, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have the components,the u can make use of the right triangles and of Pythagora's theorem (for the absolute value/magnitude) and arctangent (for direction/angle)...

It's not difficult.

Daniel.

7. Mar 2, 2005 #6
    try doing it geometrically if you dont see it algebraically. Plot the vectors on a grid, head to tail, and then using the points coordinates, find the magnitude by using length of a line formula.

Regards,

Nenad

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?