1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces and friction homework help please

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force of 50N is required to start a 10kg object moving from rest. What is the maximum value that (Ms) could be?
    A)5
    b).05
    c).5
    d).1
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll have to start us out here. What's the normal force and what does the normal force have to do with static friction?

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    Normal force is the force acting up on the object so the higher the normal force the less kinetic friction it takes to get the object moving. I cant find the normal force though.

5. Nov 16, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly backwards. Frictional force is related to normal force times the Ms. So larger normal force means more friction. I think you might need to look in a book. How is the normal force related to weight? How is weight related to mass?

6. Nov 16, 2007 #5
    I was trying to use this equation Ff=FnMs, but there are 2 unknowns so i cant solve for it

7. Nov 16, 2007 #6
    I think the answer would be .5
    Ff=FnMs
    50=98Ms
    Ms=.5(rounded)

8. Nov 16, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it. Fn=mg by balancing the vertical forces.

9. Nov 16, 2007 #8
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?