1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces and Friction of sliding blocks

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    I've been looking at this question for the last two hours, here's the question and what i've done so far

The picture shows 3 blocks, A B and C, block C is ontop of block A. Block B is connected to block A by a rope, and is hanging over the edge.

here it is,

Blocks A and B have weights of 44N and 22N, respectively. (a) Determine the minimum weight of block C to keep A from sliding if s between A and the table is 0.20. (b) Block C suddenly is liffted off A. What is the acceleration of block A if k between A and the table is 0.15?

This is what i've done

Block A + C
    mg= 44N
    m = 44/g
    = 4.49 + X

Fnet(y) = N - Mg = ma

N = Mg
    =(4.49 + x)g

Fnet(x) = T - f = ma
    T - f = (4.49 + x)a

Block B
    mg = 22N
    m= 22/g
    = 2.24

Fnet = T - mg = ma
    T - (2.24)(9.8) = 0
    T = 22N

From this i assumed that when there is no acceleration the Tension in the rope is 22N, therefore the static friction when there is no movement in Block A+C is 22N

Fmax = s Fn
    22N = 0.2 (mg)
    22N = 0.2 (4.49 + x)(9.8)
    22 = 8.8 + 1.96x
    x= 6.7 Kg Therefore the min. weight of C is 6.7kg times 9.8m/s^2 = 66N

im not sure if I did this right, so I would appreciate if someone could let me know. Thanks:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?