Forces & Friction: Block Sliding Down Incline

In summary: I don't understand how to do it. Alright, so in summary, the block slides down a plane with constant acceleration, and the normal force is equal to the weight of the block times the cosine of the angle between the plane and the block. The coefficient of friction is 13.3N.
JasonAdams
1. A 3 kg block slides down a 30 degree incllined plane with constant acceleration of 0.5 m/s2. The block starts from rest at the top. The length of the incline is 2m.
a) What is the velocity of the block at the bottom?
b) What is the magnitude of the normal force?
c) What is the coefficient of friction between the plane and the block?

I solved the questions, I'm just not sure if I got the answers right, so I wanted to double check with somebody here. For a) I got 2m/s (I forget how I got it, I didn't write down my work). For b), I did Fn = mg, and I got 29.4 N. For c), I did a diagram and got 13.3 N as the applied force. For Fnet, I did Fnet = ma, and got 29.4 N. Fnet = F applied - F opposing or friction, and I got -16.1 N as the force of friction (I'm not sure if having a negative force is possible, so if I'm wrong, just stay with me here). µ = Fs/Fn = -16.1N / 29.4N = -0.547. If any of this is wrong, please tell me how I was supposed to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonAdams said:
1. A 3 kg block slides down a 30 degree incllined plane with constant acceleration of 0.5 m/s2. The block starts from rest at the top. The length of the incline is 2m.
a) What is the velocity of the block at the bottom?
b) What is the magnitude of the normal force?
c) What is the coefficient of friction between the plane and the block?

I solved the questions, I'm just not sure if I got the answers right, so I wanted to double check with somebody here. For a) I got 2m/s (I forget how I got it, I didn't write down my work).

Well, I can't check that if I can't see how you've done it-- and besides, do you not need to show your working for the homework?
For b), I did Fn = mg, and I got 29.4 N.

This isn't right. The normal force is not equal to the weight, since the block is on an inclined plane, it is equal to the component of the weight which is perpendicular to the plane. Draw a diagram-- it will help you!

To find Fn, what equation do I use? I can't seem to figure it out.

diagram will help. Think about it this way, if the block is "sliding" down a vertical face what would be Fn? If its horizontal what is Fn? At intermediate angles?

Fn = m a cosΘ

Fn = mass x acceleration (the accel. of the object, not of gravity)

Are either of these right? I'm just not getting it! The diagram isn't helping me as much as I thought it would.

the normal force is the force pushing back against the block right? It would be zero in the case of sliding along a vertical cliff, and the full weight, mg, when it is horizontally supported.

Maybe this will help more, with inclines we need to break down the gravitaional force into two components: those perpendicular to the block which does not tend to accelerate the object but causes static friction and the component along the surface of the block which accelerates the block.

In effect it is like we are rotating the coordinate system.

Still murky?
John

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to move, change direction, or change shape. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the interaction between the surfaces of the objects and can make it more difficult for an object to move or maintain its motion.

3. How does friction affect a block sliding down an incline?

Friction between the block and the incline will act in the opposite direction of the block's motion, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. The amount of friction depends on the types of surfaces and the weight of the block.

4. What other forces are acting on the block sliding down an incline?

In addition to friction, the block will also experience the force of gravity pulling it down the incline and the normal force from the incline pushing it upwards. These forces will determine the acceleration and speed of the block.

5. How can we calculate the force of friction on the block?

The force of friction can be calculated using the equation Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces and N is the normal force. This equation can help us understand how different factors, such as the weight of the block and the roughness of the surfaces, affect the force of friction.